Chatper 44 - absolute pleasure

Carmeñ's pov:

Today was our first game of the euros and we were playing Finland. I was pretty confident. On the bus I was chatting and laughing with Ona and Aitana trying to take my mide off the face that Lex isn't here with me. She was having her surgery today and I couldn't be their with her. She wanted me to play and there is no way Jorge would have let me.

We were warming up and I was passing the ball with Mapi.
/'you okay'/ she asked me sensing my nerves.
/'fist euros first game just nerves'/ I said bouncing on my toes.
/'we have got this thought yeah'/ she said and ruffled my hair.
/'yeah we have'/

/'look I have got the game up here'/ Lex said in Catalan through the screen.
/'are you sure you don't want me to come. I can get in a car right-'/ I started.
/'no stay there I want to see your number 13 on the back of a Spain shirt okay'/ she said seriously.
/'okay but-'/
/'no Carmeñ stay there'/
/'if your sure'/ I said defeated.
/'yes I'm very sure now gooooo'/

I stood in the tunnle Irene leading us out with the armband around her bicep. I had Alexia's shirt in my hand because we had all agreed to hold it up in the team photo. Mariona was behind me and she gently rubbed my shoulders until we started to walk out.

As we sung our national anthem I looked around the stadium at the amount of fans in the stands. It was mad to see all the red shirts. All of them cheering for us. Some of us including me knelt in front of the others. I held one side of the shirt and Mariona held the other so the name Alexia was showing with the number 14 underneath it.

We ran to our places and the whistle blew. First game.

No one's pov:

The whistle blew and both teams shot into action. Finland got their first touch of the ball and somehow got the ball on the back of the net in the first minute by Linda Sällström. It was unlucky but Spain could come back. They still had 89 minutes at least.

In minute 26 while Alexia was in surgery, Irene got her head on the ball from a corner by Carmeñ. The ball flew over the heads of many and found the one of the Spanish captain. It was gorgeous.

41st minute Carmeñ and Aitana had a run up the pitch passing the ball back and forth through the Finland players. Carmeñ ran round many defenders and crossed the ball to the feel of Aitana who slotted it into the back of the net.

A few minutes later a loud whistle was heard through the whole stadium signalling half time. Little did Carmeñ know that Alexia's surgery had gone well and was currently on the way to the stadium to watch the second half. Carmeñ called Alexia to see if she was okay but when she got no answer, she just though the older woman was still in surgery.

Carmeñ's pov:

It had gone straight to voicemail so I just assumed Lex was still having surgery. I didn't know much about ACL injuries so I didn't know how long it takes.

Jorge came in and told us how to play ect. He then held me and Irene back and told her that she would be coming off making me the captain for this game. He walked away and Irene put me in a headlock and ruffled my hair.
/'look at you captain'/ she said a bit loud and everyone heard her and came to congratulate me. I ran and hid my face in my training top that was hanging in my cubbyhole making them laugh. Mapi came over.
/'I'm proud of you kid'/ she said and hugged me properly. I was going to captain my country and none of my family was here to see it. Lex was who knows where, Eli and Alba back at their Eli's house, Marc and Mario gone and Jill with her team. It brought tears to my eyes and Mapi could feel them.
/'they are here in their'/ she said and tapped my chest where my heart was. I nodded and smiled at her gratefully. At least she was here. Ona came over and joined in our hug along with Patri, Pina, Aitana, Leila, Laia and Mariona. We stood there in each others arms until it was time to go. I wiped my eyes and walked out ready to lead my country.