But I'm Innocent

~Lenna's pov~

"You were saying?" He urged me to continue. My mind had gone blank. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks as I struggled to gather my thoughts. His warm gaze made it even harder to concentrate. "Um... Sorry," I stammered, feeling a bead of sweat form on my forehead.

"I completely forgot what I was going to say."

He chuckled and put his hands in his pockets.

"I guess I can be quite distracting," he said, his smile reaching his eyes. I couldn't help but feel a flutter in my chest.

"I was saying that maybe we shouldn't argue."

"Why not? After all, you are still my enemy no matter what," he whispered , his voice low and filled with a hint of playfulness.

"But I'm innocent!" I yelled. He smirked as he came closer to me.

"You still haven't proven that. To me, you're still a murderer." My heart raced as his words hung in the air, his playful demeanor contrasting with the gravity of the accusation. I took a step back, the weight of his suspicion pressing down on me.

"But you have to believe me," I pleaded, desperation lacing my voice. "I didn't do it. I would never..." My voice trailed off as his smirk widened, his eyes gleaming with a mixture of amusement and suspicion.

"Oh, I want to believe you," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "But the evidence speaks for itself, doesn't it?"

"You don't even have any evidence yourself!" I yelled, but he shushed me.

"Be careful now," he whispered, his tone laced with a hint of threat. "Raising your voice won't help your case. In fact, it only makes you appear guiltier." His words hit me like a punch to the gut, leaving me speechless for a moment.

My anger boiled within me, but I knew that losing my composure would only fuel his twisted satisfaction. I took a deep breath, attempting to regain my composure before responding.

"What satisfaction are you getting from this?" I gritted my teeth, and my voice strained with frustration. The room fell into an eerie silence as he stared at me, a sinister smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Oh, let's just say I can't wait to put you in jail," he sneered, his eyes glinting with malicious intent. His words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of his veiled threat. My heart raced, adrenaline coursing through my veins, as I searched for a way to out maneuver him. I couldn't let him win; I couldn't let him see my fear.

"But we were finally getting along," I whispered.

"Oh yeah, we were really hitting it off. I mean, who doesn't love a little threat of imprisonment in a conversation? I can't think of any better way to bond with someone." He chuckled. "Lenna, you were always my enemy from day one. Just because I played nice in front of others does not mean I'm nice. I'm here to complete my mission, and I won't stop until I do."

"Fuck you, Matteo." I gritted my teeth.

"Oh my goodness, such an eloquent and heartfelt response. Thank you for gracing me with your profound words. Truly, it's an honor to be insulted by someone so verbose and articulate. I'm sure your vast vocabulary will help you immensely in completing your mission. Best of luck, darling." He winked before he opened the door to his room and pointed outside. I stood there, seething with anger, as Matteo's condescending words echoed in my ears. The nerve of his to mock my frustration only fueled my determination to prove him wrong. With every ounce of strength, I resisted the urge to launch myself at him and instead took a deep breath, steadying my resolve. Ignoring his smug expression, I stepped forward, my eyes locked on the open door he had gestured towards. Why did I even bother coming here in the first place?