Head On A Silver Platter

~Lenna's pov~

Right after Matteo left, I locked my door and my windows , making sure no one could hear me. I turned off all electronic devices and closed any possible gaps where sound could escape. I even put on noise-cancelling headphones just to be extra cautious, and then I called my mom.

As soon as I heard my mom's familiar voice on the other end of the line, a wave of relief washed over me. I felt safe knowing that she was just a phone call away.

"Hey sweetheart! I've been meaning to call you for so long, but I didn't want to disturb you," my mom said warmly. Her words instantly brought a smile to my face, and I could feel the tension slowly melting away. It was as if her voice had the power to transport me to a place of comfort and security, even in the midst of my anxiety.

"Oh, Mom, it's so good to hear your voice," I replied, my voice filled with gratitude.

"Aww , aren't you just the most adorable mama's girl? I bet you've been missing me like crazy," she teased playfully. Her words made me laugh, and I couldn't deny that I did miss her a lot.

"Well, maybe just a little," I teased back, knowing that she loved to poke fun at my attachment to her.

"Mmh , so what do you need, darling? Is everything okay?" she asked with concern.

"How did you know I needed to talk to you? It's like you have a sixth sense," I said, feeling comforted by her intuitive nature. "I guess a mother always knows when her child needs her," she replied, her voice filled with warmth. There was a brief pause as I gathered my thoughts, unsure of how to express the magnitude of my anxiety.

Finally, I mustered up the courage to say, "Mom, you know the Donovola case that I'm working on right now-"

"Wait, wait, hold on. Did you say Donovola?" My mother interrupted me, her tone suddenly serious.

"Yes, the Donovola case," I repeated, feeling a mix of anticipation and trepidation.

Suddenly, my mom requested a video call; her urgency was palpable through the phone. My heart raced as I fumbled to open the video call application, desperate to understand why my mother's tone had shifted so drastically. As the video call connected, I anxiously awaited my mother's face to appear on the screen. When her image finally materialized, I could see the shock etched across her features. It was as if she had seen a ghost, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear and recognition.

"Honey, what do you mean by the Donovola case?" She asked again with a tremor in her voice. I could tell that my mother was trying to gather her thoughts, her usually composed demeanor shaken to its core.

"Mom, you're scaring me.. Why are you acting like this? I'm sure dad would have told you that I was here for the Donovola case," I stammered, feeling a knot form in my stomach. My mother's reaction was completely unexpected, and her words only added to my confusion. I had assumed that my father would have informed her of my involvement in the Donovola case, but her reaction indicated otherwise.

"Sweetheart, the only reason I'm shocked is because Donovola has been dead for the past 20 years," my mother replied, her voice filled with disbelief.

"WHAT?!! THEN WHO ARE WE SEARCHING FOR? IF THE MAIN CRIMINAL IS DEAD, THEN WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THESE RECENT INCIDENTS?" I exclaimed, my mind racing with a mix of panic and frustration. My heart sank as I realized that everything I thought I knew about the case had been shattered in an instant. The countless hours spent poring over evidence and the sleepless nights trying to connect the dots all seemed futile now.

"Sweetheart I-"

"No, Mom, tell me, how do you know this information? How can you be so sure that the main criminal is dead?" I interrupted, my voice filled with desperation.