Sakura: Chapter 41

"I wish I was a bird."

"Why would you want that?"

"I'd be free of everything, and I could just fly away."

"You'd have to land sometime."

"You're such a downer. No wonder you have no friends."

"I have friends!"

"Name one."

"You're on-"

"I don't count."

After a few moments of silence I groaned. The sun was scorching as it pierced through the trees. And it had just risen.

"You know you're lucky you have that mask, you must never get sunburned." I commented as I inspected my skin for marks.

"My mask doesn't protect me from everything." He protested.

I sat up, ignoring my sore muscles.

"It sure seemed to help last night." I countered, staring past him.

"Were you terrified?" Kakashi asked, losing his playful tone.

"I was scared, honestly. You'd have to be stupid if you weren't. That chakra.. It definitely was something." I replied, staring at the grass.

"I will always protect you, whether you're my student or not. And whoever the enemy was, he put up quite a fight." Kakashi promised.

"I'm sorry I blacked out. That must have been a huge burden." I apologized, switching my vision from the grass to the trunk of the tree in front of us.

"Don't worry about it. It was nothing the famous Copy Nin couldn't handle."

I glanced at Kakashi. His expression was happy, but there was a slight strain in his eye. Other than that, he seemed okay. Well, almost. His clothes were disheveled, some blood here and there, cuts in his mask, and he had a broken arm from what I could see.

I would've healed it sooner but he didn't want me to "strain myself". I don't remember what happened, but it must've taken a toll on me for Kakashi to forcibly restrain me from using any chakra.

"Are you hurt at all? Do you need anything?" Kakashi questioned.

"I'd like to think I'm fine but to be honest I can't feel the fingers of my left hand very well, among other things." I confessed.

"I'd imagine you'd feel that way. Things were intense. Way too intense for you, and I'm not saying that in a way to make you inferior." Kakashi added, noticing the not so subtle glare I gave him.