III - The Weirdo On Maple Street

𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈 get home that night, I lay in bed so many thoughts swirling through my mind. What happened to Will? Is he okay? Why didn't he make it home last night? And Steve. I couldn't stop obsessing over Steve. Why does Steve want to become close again? Why is he perusing Nancy? Why not me?

The thoughts make me sick.

Suddenly I hear a crash from inside the house. Instantly, I stand up and grab my hair brush, making my way towards the sound. I raise my arm up, ready to attack the unexpected visitor.

That's when I hear a muffled, "Shit!" emanating from the garage. Still armed with my raised arm, I fling open the door. I'm met with my brother picking up his bike off the ground.

Dustin jerks his head in my direction with wide eyes. He was caught.

"Dustin, where are you going?" I ask with eyebrows raised and head tilted down.

"Shit," he mumbles under his breath, "The party and I are finding Will." I start walking towards him intending to grab my own bike, "And there's nothing you can do to stop us."

"Relax, little bro," I roll my eyes, picking up my bike, "I'm coming with you." 

And whatever you do, don't go looking for Will.

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

Dustin and I meet up with Mike and Lucas, then bike to Mirkwood road, where we last saw Will. We reach a taped off section of the woods and set our bikes down. I hear a rumble of thunder in the distance and raindrops start to fall.

"Hey guys," Dustin says, a single raindrop falling on his face, "Feel that?"

"I think, maybe, we should go back"

"Yeah, Dustin's right, we shouldn't be out here in a thunderstorm." I say, agreeing with my brother.

"No, we're not going back, jus' stay close," Mike says determined in finding our friend, "Just stay on channel six, and don't do anything stupid!"

"Mike! Lucas! Come back!" I yell as they make their way further into the woods, "I told Hopper I would watch over you guys!"

"Hey guys, wait up," My brother shouts, running after them, "Wait up!"

"Damn it!"

And I run after them.

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

The rain pours down on us as we make our way through the dark woods. I tug my jacket tighter to my body, a shiver running down my spin when the breeze rushes past. This may not be my brightest moment, but someone has to watch over these kids.

"Will!" Mikes screams into the woods.

"Will" I yell, "Where are you!"

"Byers!" Lucas shouts, over the noisy rain.

"I've got your X-Men 134!" Dustin offers, "Guys, I really think we should turn back!" He adds.

"Seriously Dustin?" Lucas says frustrated with his friend, "If you wanna be a baby, then go home already!"

"Guys, c'mon! This is no time to fight! Our friend is missing!" I yell at the two.

They ignore me.

"I'm just being realistic, Lucas!" Dustin defends himself.

"No, you're just being a big sissy!" Lucas counters.

"Did you ever think Will went missing because he ran into something bad? And we're going in the exact same spot where he was last seen? And we have no weapons or anything?" Dustin rants.