XXXIII - Booby Traps

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 of the room is showing no signs of slowing down, and we all continue to scream at the top of our lungs, not knowing what's going to happen to us. As I continue to hold onto Steve tightly, my arms locked around his waist, I gaze up at him and meet his eyes. It's clear he's trying to reassure me that everything will be alright, but I'm still concerned for everyone's wellbeing. Steve tries to keep me close and steady, keeping one arm around me, while one is placed on the wall behind him, trying to keep his footing, with me still clinging onto him.

"Holy shit!" I shout, but the sound is muffled slightly from yelling into Steve's chest.

"Shit! Shit!" My brother screams, making his way over to the button panel, once again.

"We're going down! We're going down!" Steve cries and I feel his arm tighten around me.

"Yeah, no shit, Harrington!" Robin shouts frantically as she clings onto the boxes behind her.

"Why don't these buttons work?!" Dustin screams, continuing to desperately press the buttons on the panel.

"Press the button!" Erica yells angrily, as she makes her way over to where my brother is standing, finally pressing the button herself.

"What do you think I'm doing?!" My brother screams in her face, and I feel myself starting to get a little lightheaded.

"Come on, press something!" Steve yells frantically, and I can feel his breath on my hair.

"Just press the button!" I shout, finally glancing over towards the door, where my brother and Erica stand.

"Push it!"

The room unexpectedly comes to an abrupt halt, causing all of us to fall over with a grunt. I find myself landing on top of Steve, our faces being mere inches apart, after our bodies collide. At the same time, one of the boxes falls on top of me, causing Steve to let out a loud groan from the additional weight pressed upon us.

"Oh," Steve groans, his hands firmly planted on my hips, attempting to lift me off of him, "My groin. You fell on my groin." Steve strains to get me off, considering the heavy box on top of me.

"Dustin!" I cry, catching my brother's attention and causing him to walk over to Steve and I, as we lie uncomfortably on the floor, "Get this off of us!"

Dustin helps by lifting the box off of the two of us with a light grunt as Steve gently nudges me up, and I slide off the boy, beginning to sit upright. As I do so, my head starts to throb, and I bring my hand up to my forehead to sooth the pain, and clear my hazy vision.

"I can't move." Steve breathes out, his eyebrows pinching together with pain, as he finally rolls to sit next to me with a grunt.

"Is everyone okay?" I ask, a little breathlessly, as I notice Robin across the room rubbing the back of her head with a shocked expression.

"Yeah, I'm great, now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve cries, throwing his hands up into the air as he stands up, before offering me his hand.

I grab it, and with ease, Steve lifts me up off the ground. He gives me a quick glance to ensure that I'm not injured, before stomping over to the control panel and shoving my brother out of the way, so that he can attempt to press the buttons for the hundredth time.

"I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work." Robin gestures towards the control panel, that Steve continues to press.

"They're buttons!" Steve replies desperately, turning towards Robin as he waves his hands around, "They have to do something!"