XXIV - The Fight

𝐎𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 the house, I plop myself down on the couch, and take a deep breath. I watch the kids do their own thing for a moment, before Steve sits down next to me, placing his arm on the couch behind me.

"Hey," Steve says, leaning over to examine my face, "You tired?" He asks.

"God, yes." I chuckle lightly, "But I need to watch over these kids." I sigh, before placing my head on Steve's chest.

Steve remains silent but wraps his arm around my body and starts to gently comb his finger through my hair. I try to stay awake but I'm tired and emotionally drained after a long day. As the warm comfort of the moment and Steve's gentle touch washes over me, I feel my eyes slowly close and find myself dozing off.

I just want this day to end, but suddenly, I'm woken up by the sound of crashing noises coming from the kitchen. I immediately sit up in alert mode, wondering what caused the noise. I then notice that Steve is no longer next to me, get up, and head towards the kitchen, to check on the situation.

I find Steve holding the dead Demo-dog in a towel, almost as if it's a giant baby. While my brother empties out the condiments from the fridge, throwing them on the floor. It's a bizarre sight to see, and all I can do is stare at them in bewilderment, wondering if they've both lost their minds.

"What the hell?" I mumble and Steve finally notices me in the doorway. He opens his mouth to explain but my brother beats him to it.

"Alright," Dustin turns towards Steve, pointing into the fridge, "It should fit now."

"What is happening?" I ask, sleep still evident in my voice.

"Important things, (Y/n)." Dustin says instantly.

"Is this really necessary?" Steve shakes his head, as I come to stand next to him.

"Yes, it is, okay? This is a groundbreaking scientific discovery," My brother replies fiercely, "We can't just bury it like it's some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog."

"Alright, alright, alright." Steve mutters, before walking over to the open fridge, "But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, alright?" Steve adds before attempting to shove the Demo-dog into the fridge.

"Christ," Steve mumbles, "Help me out." He demands my brother who just stands there helplessly.

"What am I supposed to do?" Dustin asks, and I roll my eyes.

"Get the door, man." Steve strains, as he struggles, "Get the door."

"Jesus," I sigh, before walking over to the two boys, "I got the door."

"Ew, jesus." Steve whispers, as he lets go of the creature and helps me close the door quickly.

"God." Dustin mutters disgustedly.

Steve places his hand on top of Dustin's head, ruffling his hair, and letting out a relieved sigh, knowing that we managed to get the creature into the fridge. I watch their cute interaction, and smile at how comfortable and close the two have become. Then, I walk into the living room, sit down on the arm chair, as Max and Lucas clean up the broken glass from the floor, and Mike paces back and forth.

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas stops sweeping and gestures to his friend.

"You weren't in there okay, Lucas?" Mike replies, frustration evident in his tone, "That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs."