X - The Kiddie Pool

𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 taken to the police station, I sit next to Jonathan, my leg constantly bouncing and my fingers nervously picking at my cuticles, waiting for something to happen next. When Nancy returns, she sits on the other side of Jonathan with an ice pack in hand and we all wonder what the consequences are going to be.

"Found some ice." Nancy says to the boy.

"Thanks." He replies before Nancy gently holds it up to his forehead. Jonathan stares at the girl as she looks slightly uncomfortable, "Everything okay?" He asks.

"Yeah." She responds unconvincingly, "Everything's fine."

We all let out exhausted sighs before sitting there in silence once more.

With a few more moments of quiet I look up, noticing Nancy and Jonathan gazing at each other with lingering eyes. A light smile crosses my face, as I know there is something special going on between them. I'm happy knowing both of my friends have found comfort in each other.

The doors to the station suddenly slam open, revealing Chief Hopper and Joyce, who rush inside with worried looks on their faces.

"Hey, Jonathan?" Joyce says, walking up to the three of us, noticing Jonathan's bruised face, "Jesus, what... what happened?"

"Ma'am..." The officer, Callahan grabs her attention, trying to calm her down.

"I'm fine..." Jonathan whispers quietly, looking down.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?" Joyce asks accusingly as she points towards her son's hands.

"Well, your boy assaulted a police officer, that's why." Callahan says calmly to the woman, standing from his seat.

"Take them off." Joyce demands firmly.

"I am afraid I cannot do that." Callahan says again.

"Take them off!" Joyce cries, once again with a demanding tone.

"You heard her." Hopper says from behind Joyce, "Take 'em off."

"Chief," The other officer, Powell, pipes in finally, "I get everyone's emotional here, but there's something you need to see."

Hopper and the other officers march back into the station, and set our box of weapons and shit in front of us on the table. I look up nervous, only to be met with pointed looks in their eyes.

"What is this?" Joyce asks, looking in the box first.

"Why don't you ask your son?" Hopper says, staring at Jonathan, "We found it in his car."

"What?" Joyce says shocked.

"Why are you going through my car?" Jonathan mumbles annoyed.

"Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" Hopper asks, leaning down with a threatening look, "I wanna see you in my office."

"You won't believe me." Jonathan replies instantly.

"Why don't you give me a try." Hopper responds firmly.

The three of us make our way to Hopper's office where he and Joyce are waiting patiently. Jonathan hands Hopper the paper we'd been looking at the funeral.

Sitting in my seat, I can't help but fiddle with my fingers, unable to sit still in the tense situation. I notice Jonathan is also nervously biting his nails, while beside him, Nancy sits calmly, her gaze firmly fixed on the chief.

"You say blood draws this thing?" Hopper finally says, looking up at us.

"We don't know." I say, "It's just a theory."