XXII - The Spy

𝐖𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐥𝐲 make our way back to the Byer's house, rushing inside to get our situation under control.

Jonathan is kneeling by the couch, with his hand gently stroking Will's hair, who lies asleep on said couch. Nancy approaches, gently placing her hand on Jonathan's shoulder in a reassuring manner.

I observe as Steve stands there, watching them with his arms crossed, before he walks over to me, where I sit next to Mike on the arm of a kitchen chair.

"Hey." Steve greets, arms still crossed, gears visibly turning in his head.

"What's going through that head of yours, pretty boy?" I ask, and Steve blushes at the nickname, one I plan on using again.

"Just... just a long day." Steve lets out a sigh, and I stand up to give him a much needed hug.

"Sam Owens. Dr. Sam Owens. I don't know how many people are there. I don't know how many people are left alive!" Hopper's stern voice into the phone causes Steve and I to break apart and listen in on the conversation, "I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper! Yes, the number that I gave you, yes. 6767... I will be here." Hopper places the phone back on the wall before turning toward us.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" My brother asks, his hands resting on the kitchen table.

"We'll see."

"We'll see?" Mike hisses from his chair, "We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" He shouts at Hopper with frustration.

"We stay here, and we wait for help." Hopper demands sternly, before walking out of the kitchen.

Silence once again hangs heavy in the room, as the kids all sit around the kitchen table. Steve and I stand side by side, leaning against the wall next to the window. We watch the children, making sure they're safe and sound, while we occasionally exchange a longing glance at one another, with the thought of something more between us passing through our eyes.

My attention shifts towards Mike, who stands up from his seat at the table, and slowly makes his way towards the living room. Leaving Steve and I to keep a close watch on him.

"Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" Mike asks and my eyes slightly soften.

As we were driving over to the Byer's house, Hopper took the time to explain to us the events that had occurred back at the lab. He informed us of Joyce's boyfriend, Bob's death. I feel a pang of sadness in my chest for the man I'd never got the chance to meet.

"Really?" Lucas asks quietly from his seat next to my brother and Max.

"He petitioned the school to start it and everything." Mike turns toward us, holding up a toy Bob bought, "Then he had a fundraiser for equipment." He explains and we all listen intently.

"Mr. Clarke learned everything from him." Mike says, walking back towards us, "Pretty awesome, right?"

"Yeah." Dustin and Lucas respond in unison.

"We can't let him die in vain." Mike says after placing the toy on the table.

"What do you want to do, Mike?" My brother asks, shrugging, "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own."

"Demo-dogs?" I question, raising my eyebrows slightly before taking a couple steps forward from my previous place next to Steve.

"Demogorgon. Dogs." My brother puts his hands together, "Demo-dogs. It's like a compound. It's like a play on words, you know." Dustin explains like I'm stupid.