XXXII - Child Endangerment

"𝐇𝐦𝐦." 𝐄𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚 hums as she shines the flashlight into the air duct, her eyebrows raised, clearly unimpressed as she debates whether she can fit or not, "Yeah, I don't know." Erica says, climbing down from the top of the ladder, jumping off only to place her hands on the table in front of us.

"You don't know if you can fit?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowing together before placing my hands on my hips.

"Oh, I can fit." Erica sasses, raising her eyebrows at us, "I just don't know if I want to."

"Are you claustrophobic?" Robin asks, shaking her head from her spot next to me.

"I don't have phobias." Erica scoffs, her gaze flashing between, Steve, Robin, Dustin and I.

"Okay, well, what's the problem?" Steve asks with a loud sigh, crossing his arms in front of his chest, as he leans against the counter behind us.

"The problem is, I still haven't heard what's in this for Erica." The girl retorts, with the roll of her eyes.

"Ice cream?" Steve whispers the suggestion to Robin and I, before the two of us share a glance, and let out simultaneous sighs of frustration.

"Ice cream." I nod, before we all walk to the front of the shop to scoop some free ice cream for the young girl.

Steve slides a banana split towards Erica as Steve, Robin, Dustin, and I sit shoulder to shoulder in a booth, attempting to entice Lucas's sister into helping us with the containers of ice cream that now cover the entire table.

"More fudge, please." Erica simply slides the banana split back towards Steve, causing Steve to send the girl a sharp glare, "Go on." Erica waves her hand around with a smirk.

Slowly reaching for the container of ice cream, Steve stands up and walks back towards the counter, in order to fulfill Erica's wishes. His absence leaves me with more space to sit, yet I miss the feeling of his warm thigh pressed up against mine.

"Alright," Robin says, pulling the blueprints onto the table, "You see this? This is the route you're going to take. Then we just wait till the last delivery goes out tonight." Robin starts to explain to Erica, before I jump in.

"Then you knock out the grate, jump down, open the door." I finish, causing Erica to turn her attention towards me, still unimpressed.

"Then you find out what's in those boxes?" Erica asks, tilting her head slightly, with a bored expression on her face.

"Exactly," I respond and Robin nods her head from beside me.

"Mm-hmm." Erica hums, playing with the ice cream in her container, "And you say this guard is armed?" She turns towards my brother with raised eyebrows.

"Yes, but he won't be there." Dustin nods, trying his best to reassure her.

"And booby traps?" Erica questions, glancing back over to Robin and I.

"Booby traps?" Robin asks, shaking her head before we share a look of confusion.

"Lasers, spikes on the wall?" Erica suggests, her eyes brows knitting together.

"What?" I let out a light chuckle at the absurd thought.

"You know what this half-baked plan of yours sounds like? Erica asks, sending all three of us a pointed look, "Child endangerment."

"We'll be in radio contact with you the whole time—" Robin starts before Erica starts waving her finger in the older girl's face.

"Ah, ah, ah." Erica interrupts, raising her eyebrows, "Child endangerment." She emphasizes dramatically, causing me to roll my eyes.