XXVI - The Snow Ball

3 Months Later

𝐆𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 for the Snow Ball feels like a fever dream. Never would I thought I'd be chaperoning for a middle school dance. Nancy and Jonathan somehow convinced me and here I am, in my room, getting ready.

As I stand in front of my bedroom mirror, putting on my red dress and styling my hair, I can hear the faint sound of Christmas music coming from outside my bedroom. I exit, my room, making my way down the hallway, and find my mother on her chair with our new cat. I sit down on the couch and wait for my brother to finish getting ready.

"Son of a bitch! Son of a bitch!" I hear Dustin yell as he storms into the living room and heads towards the kitchen counter.

"Where did you see it last?" Our mom asks, as she gently strokes our new cat's head.

"Right here, where I put it." Dustin gestures to the spot on the counter.

"What's in there that's so important anyway?" Our mom asks, as Dustin continues to search around for his bag that's holds his Farrah Fawcett hairspray.

"He thinks he'll look better with Fa—" I start before Dustin cuts me off with a glare.

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Henderson." He says firmly and I let out a light chuckle before he turns his attention back towards the counter.

"You look fabulous, baby." Our mother coos to the boy, "You both do." She turns towards me and I smile before reaching out a giving her hand a squeeze.

"Got it." Dustin says, and I notice the paper bag in his hand and the wide grin on his face as he rushes back into his room.

The doorbell rings, and my mom turns back towards Dustin trying to grab his attention but he's already long gone with his Farrah Fawcett spray.

"That's your ride, Dusty." My mom says, leaning over her chair, slightly.

"I'll get it." I smile and instantly rush towards the door, opening it only to see my favorite person, wearing a red sweater, similar to the color of my dress.

"Hi, Steve."

Steve seems dazed for a moment, before his mouth drops wide open and his eyes flicker up and down, taking me in.

"Shut your mouth, you'll catch flies." I say with a soft smile, my cheeks heating up as I enjoy the effect that I have on him in this moment.

Steve snaps out of his daze when I speak,  he quickly clears his throat and looks me in the eyes, hoping to hide that fact that he was just ogling at me. With a small shake of his head, he finally seems to manage his thoughts.

"Hey, you look..." Steve starts before taking a deep breath, "You look breathtaking, (Y/n)."

My heart skips a beat.

"Thank you," I respond with a smile, in which Steve returns, "You don't look too bad yourself, Harrington."

Steve and I stand in the doorway of my house, letting our eyes wander over each other and taking in the moment. As the seconds pass, I notice his eyes keep lingering on the necklace he have me last Christmas, and my heart starts beating faster and faster. The tension and chemistry between us builds with each passing second, and the air feels charged with an electricity I've only felt during that night.