XLII - The Battle of Starcourt

𝐀 𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐝 honk grabs Steve's and my attention, making us jump and turn towards the source of the sound. We soon see Nancy, Jonathan, and the rest of the kids in their car, which is now pulled up next to Steve and I. The group looks exhausted, having been through quite a bit over the past few days, and I notice Nancy's eyes filled with relief at the sight of us.

"Get in!" Nancy shouts, waving her hand towards her body as a gesture of urgency to climb into the car.

Steve and I quickly jump out of our yellow car and into Jonathan's, joining Nancy and the rest of the kids sitting in the back. We all look out with dread at the Mind Flayer, which is getting closer and closer to us with each passing moment, it's shrieks growing louder and louder. The situation is dire, and we need to get the hell out of here before we become a midnight snack for the giant shadow monster.

"Go!" Lucas shouts, desperately signaling for Jonathan to step on it, as Steve and I situate ourselves into the very backseat, sitting across from each other with our knees touching, "Go, go, go!"

There's another loud roar, causing Steve and I to whip our heads around to look through the back window. The Mind Flayer is no longer on top of the mall, and is now very, very close to us. My eyes immediately widen and I take in a sharp breath, preparing myself for the attack. We don't have much time.

"Go, go, go!" Steve cries, frantically tapping his hand on the seat in front of him, as the Mind Flayer gets closer and closer.

Jonathan finally steps on the gas and begins to drive us out of the parking lot, attempting to escape the Mind Flayer. We try to put some distance between us and the shadow monster, but it's relentless in it's pursuit. It can move surprisingly fast, running after us as we drive on the same road Steve and I took to get to the satellite. Mind Flayer lets out it's deafening roars, and the sound of its stomping against the road fills the silent summer night. But suddenly, there's a voice that changes everything.

"Dusty-bun, you copy?" A young girl's voice emits through the walkie-talkie sitting in my lap, causing Steve and I to whip our heads toward it with wide eyes.

"I copy, Suzie-poo." My brother's voice responds instantly, "It sounds much better now, thanks."

"Suzie..." Steve and I breathe out in unison after lifting our heads to glance at each other.

"Holy shit," I whisper, wrapping my hands around the radio that still rests in my lap, "I can't believe she's real."

"But you said—" Steve starts to point out when I lied to my brother earlier about believing she's real.

"Steve," I say, looking over to the boy with raised eyebrows, "Do you really think I was gonna admit to my brother that I didn't believe him about something he was so excited about?"

"I mean, now that you say it..." Steve replies, trailing off as he rubs the back of his neck, and sends me a sheepish smile.

"Exactly." I say, glancing back down at the radio when the talking continues.

"Okay, so listen." My brother's voice says through the radio, "Do you know Planck's constant?"

"Do you know the Earth orbits the sun?" Suzie replies instantly, and I can practically hear the small smile in her voice.

"Okay, so I know it starts with two sixes, and then a... W-What is it?" Dustin asks sheepishly, causing me to bring a hand up to rub down my face.

"Okay, let me just be clear on this." Suzie attempts to clarify the whole situation, slightly irritated, "I haven't heard from you in a week, and now you want a mathematical equation that you should know so you can... save the world."