XVIII - The Cellar

𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 Dustin proceeded to explain how he managed to stumble upon Dart, also known as, D'artagnan, and how he might actually be a mini Demogorgon. We then put a considerable amount of effort into cleaning Dustin's blood-stained carpets, but it got too late and we decided to continue in the morning. We also made a plan to trick our mom, so that Dustin and I could continue cleaning and trap Dart without an issue.

This morning, I let out a sigh while gazing out of the window, observing my mother as she saunters about our front yard, waving around a cat toy and calling out for Mews. I feel a pang of guilt in my chest, but I quickly reassure myself that lying to her is for the best.

As I notice my mother heading back towards the house, I turn to face my brother who stands by the phone, giving him a quick thumbs up. Dustin grabs the phone off the wall, performing his part of the plan. I sink onto our yellow sofa, turning the tv on with a click, acting as casual as possible.

"Dusty, (Y/n), you're sure she's not in either of your rooms?" Our mother asks desperately as she enters through the front door, closing it behind her.

Dustin extends his index finger towards our mother and silently signals her to wait until he is finished on the phone. When she looks in my direction, I shake my head, giving her a sympathetic look, before averting my attention back to the tv.

"Uh huh. Thank you so much, Mr. McCorkle. Thank you so much. You are a true lifesaver." Dustin says into the phone even though there's no one on the other side, "Alright, this was great. Thank you, alright. Have a good one. Bye-bye now. Alright, you too." Dustin finishes, placing the phone back onto the wall.

"Alright, great news." He says, turning to us with a slight grin.

"They found her?" Our mom responds and she looks like she's almost crying.

"No. But they saw her wandering around Loch Nora." Dustin explains, carefully walking towards our mother.

"How did the poor baby get all the way out there?" Our mom cries, reaching towards Dustin before grabbing his forearms.

"I don't know, lost I guess." Dustin says softly, "But they're gonna look for her."

"And we'll stay here, just in case they call again." I pipe in, standing from my spot on the couch, walking over to calm our mom down.

"And you're gonna go help look? Yeah? Yeah?" Dustin asks, and our mother nods before pulling the boy into a tight hug, "Give me a hug, give me a hug." He says comfortingly in her arms.

"Go get her." I rub my mom's shoulder as she pulls away from Dustin, and heads back towards the front door.

"You're gonna find her, alright?" Dustin says.

"Okay." Our mother replies, grabbing her stuff.

"We can find her." Dustin says, sending our mom a thumbs up.

"We can find her." Our mom chokes out, smiling slightly at the two of us.

"We love you." I say softly, blowing her a kiss.

"I love you guys." She responds as she walks out the door.

"We love you." Dustin says this time.

"Oh, I love you." Our mom says one last time.

"Alright, go, alright." Dustin, ushers her out the door.

After our mother finally exits the house, we both exhale with relief and exchange a quick glance before averting our attention to the next phase of our plan. Dustin goes outside to unlock the cellar door at the back of the house and I grab package of bologna from the fridge, trailing the slices throughout the house to lure Dart outside. As an additional precaution, we then grab Dustin's old hockey equipment, an extra layer of protection against the creature.