XXIX - The Code

𝐈 𝐬𝐢𝐭 at the table in the back with my legs propped up on it, tossing my sailors hat between my hands. Steve stands behind me, munching on a banana and pacing back and forth, as he listens to the recording of the Russian language coming from Dustin's tape recorder, which he placed on the table in front of us.

"So what do you think?" Dustin asks, after turning off the tape with a click.

"It sounded familiar." Steve says simply, before breaking off a piece of his banana and stuffing it into his mouth.

"What?" I question, leaning my head back to glance at the boy upside down.

"The music." Steve brings the back of his hand up to his mouth, before gesturing towards the tape, "The music right there at the end."

"Why are you listening to the music, Steve?" Dustin snaps, as he stares at his friend, "Listen to the Russian! We're translating Russian!"

"I'm trying to listen to the Russian," Steve argues, "But there's music—"

"Alright, babysitter time is over." Robin suddenly swings the back door open with her scoop in hand, pointing it towards the window, "You need to get in there."

"Hey, my board," Robin cries, turning on her heel as soon as she seems the Russian alphabet on that board that once held Steve's 'You Suck' tallies, "That was important data, shitbirds."

"Sorry, (Y/n), you're an angel." Robin adds quickly, sending me a sweet smile and I smirk before crossing my arms, "I'm obviously not blaming you."

"I guarantee you, what we're doing is way more important than your data." Dustin responds, waving his hand in there air as Steve nods in agreement.

"Yeah?" Robin asks with a little smirk, making her way closer to the table, "And how do you know these Russians are up to good, anyways?"

"How does she know about the Russians?" Dustin turns towards Steve and I with his eyes wide with surprise.

"I don't know." Steve mumbles and shakes his head, his mouth still full of the banana from earlier.

"You told her about—?" Dustin whispers to Steve and I roll my eyes.

"It wasn't me." Steve replies instantly, shrugging his shoulders.

"You two are such idiots," I say with a small chuckle as I glance at the two boys beside me, "She probably heard you."

"Yep, I can hear everything," Robin nods in my direction before turning her attention back towards Steve and Dustin, "You are both extremely loud."

I work hard to suppress a laugh, witnessing Steve and Dustin's blank expressions as they continue to stare at Robin. Steve has one hand placed on his hip, still holding his banana peel with the other, while my brother sits next to me, his hands resting in his lap.

"You think you have evil Russians plotting against our country, on tape, and you're trying to translate, but you haven't figured out a single word because you didn't realize Russians use an entirely different alphabet than we do." Robin rants while Dustin and Steve slowly turn their heads towards each other, "Sound about right?"

I smirk as Robin raises her eyebrows at the two shocked boys.

"Just about." I shrug, and I notice Robin eyeing the tape.

In a matter of seconds, Robin stretches a hand forward to grab the tape, but Steve moves quicker. He snatches it out of reach before Robin has the chance to hear the code.

"Whoa!" Steve says, clutching the tape tightly as Robin takes a step back, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I wanna hear it." Robin responds simply, shrugging her shoulders as the boys glance at each other.