Chapter 13: Shadowland

As the years grew by, two grown lions were trying to find scraps of food, from the wasteland of the once beautiful Pridelands. 

The environment became very hostile, and that the hyenas and the other lions were fighting against one another. 

Kaku looks at the grown lion, as that he said, "Zuko, let's take a break. We've been trying to hunt for weeks." 

The young prince stretch out his back, as that he said, "Fine. But there isn't any food in this wasteland. Those hyenas took everything we had. Zira and those lionesses don't even care either." 

Kaku knew how tough it was for him, despite of that Aziz wasn't around, he doesn't know much about the true heir of the Pridelands, he finally realized something important. He realized that he had fallen in love with her. 

Zuko looked at the young lion, "Kaku, is something the matter, you seemed in a daze." 

The lion said, "It's nothing, c'mon, we had to go back home. Sarabi must be worried if we don't get back to Pride Rock." 

Meanwhile, inside the den, Zazu was held prisoner inside a Shull-head of an animal that Mufusa had caught. 

Zazu said, "Nobody knows my deepest sadness. " 

Mufusa said, "Oh, c'mon, do lighten up. I mean, it's just the two of us in here." 

The hornbill mutters, "Geez, I wouldn't do this type of thing with Scar..." 

The new king was outraged by the mention of the previous king. "What did you just say, Zazu?"

The hornbill realized how angry he was, he said, quickly, "Oh, it was a slip of my mouth." 

"You know the rule. Never mention that name. I despise that name with my very will. Don't you forget, I am the king!" 

The hornbill quickly replied, "Yes, you are, Muffy, my mistake." 

That was when the Shenzi, Banzi, and Ed came in, as Banzi said, "Yo, Muffy! We have a bone to pick with you!" 

"Let me handle this. Mufusa, there is no food or water. We're desperately hungry. Zira and the hyenas are doing their best, but they're useless!" Banzi concurred. 

"Zira and the other lionesses must do their own thing, oh, eat Zazu." 

The hornbill gasps, "Not me! I'm not hyena material!" 

The king chuckled, "It's just a simple joke, Zazu. You're too serious about everything." 

Banzi said to his friends, "Man, I thought that Scar was worse." 

"What did you say?" 

"Nothing!" 

"Good.  Shoo!" 

The lionesses were in a shallow den, as Sarabi looks tired but headstrong despite of loosing her eldest child and husband. 

"Mother!" She turns to see Zuko and Kaku came through the den, as she muzzles her son, "Did you find anything, son?"

The male lion shook his head, "No herds again. I am still can't believe how terrible this land has become." 

Kaku said, "We have to do something about it. I'll go seek some help. Mufusa wouldn't even know i'm gone." 

His mother, Sarafina looks concerned about her son's decision, "Are you sure you want to do this? 

Zira and her lionesses are on high alert." 

"Mom, if we don't do anything, our pride will suffer. Our home is destroyed by that typical king, and I don't want him to do as he pleases any longer. I'll be fine. Zuko, you protect this pride now. You're a young adult and I know you'll be fine." 

Zuko said, "Please Kaku, come back home safe." 

He nods, as he walks through the destroyed Pridelands, wondering if he has done the right thing of going off on his own desires. 

"Shadowland. The leaves had fallen. This Shadowland, was our home. The river is dried, the ground has broken. 

So I must go, and where the journey will take me, please lend me your voices be my guide, I can't stay here, in this wasteland, but I know that you'll be in my heart." 

Kaku rans off from the land, unaware that he will have a discovery that will change his way of thinking forever.