Chapter 7 ~ Job

It had been about a week and a half that I had been here at their house and the longer I stayed the more I didn't want to leave. I know me and Owen would have to eventually but I just didn't want to leave. They were one of the first few people who made me feel safe in a long while, I think Owen would agree with me on that.

Owen was doing better and was talking a bit more to me. He apologized a lot about what he had done but all I wanted to do was forget that, that happened so every time he apologized it made it harder to forget. He knew what he did was wrong and was trying to make up for it but seeing him like how I did was the worst things I'd ever witnessed, not even the abuse topped that.
~
"Hey, how are you feeling?" Lena asked me and sat next to me on the couch as I laid down on the bed. "Better" I say and softly smile at her "I'm glad" she says and smiles. "What are you reading?" I ask her because she had a book in her hand. "The Cellar, it's really good so far. I feel so bad for Summer and those three girls. It's so sad but so intriguing" Lena says. I listen to her talk about it more and it makes me want to read it.

"Can I read it after you?" I ask her "no, we can read it together" she says and smiles then takes her bookmark out then goes to the first page and starts reading it with me and to me. I feel thankful.
~
"I hate him" I say at the kidnapper who was Collin. "That's what I said" Lena says and keeps reading. She keeps reading for about another hour and we end up reading half of the book before 2pm.

"Lena if I fall asleep don't stop reading, just go ahead. I'll catch up another time" I say and start feeling sleepy. "No, I want to read it with you! I'll let you rest" She says and stands up then stretches. "Are you sure? You don't have to" I say "yes Aria! Rest!" She says and leaves the room. I chuckle and look at her then see Christian coming in when she's gone. I kind of missed you.

"Hi" I say and look at him. My double chin was probably out and I probably stunk. "Hey" he says and walks in then sits where Lena was sitting. "What-what are you doing?" I ask and look at him "nothing, just wondering how you are doing" he says and leans back into the couch. "Well I'm fine, how are you" I ask "good" he says and looks at me then at Owen. "Owen? How are you?" He asks and leans forward "much better. I want out though" Owen says and chuckles. I smile in agreement. "Real" I say and look back at Christian.

"The doctor says only like two more days for both of y'all and from there y'all should be good to roam around freely" Christian says "finally!" Owen cheers with his hands. I giggle and look at him.

"Christian where can I get a job?" I ask him and look at him. He seems kind of surprised. "You want to work?" He asks "I do, I don't want to be here stuck at all times like how I was at home. I want to do something and I want to finally live" I say and smile. He smiles back.

"What do you want to do?" He asks me "I want to work at a book store" I say and smile "well, doing what?" He asks "everything" I say "we can go on Saturday" he says "great!" I say happily. "Christian me too" Owen says "you want to work at a book store?" Christian asks him "no, more like a fast food place, so I can eat for free and bring food here" Owen says. I laugh.

"Owen you would need to work in the kitchen because you would yell at people who make you mad" I say "Aria that's what I meant, I don't want to deal with people, I just want to make the food and get some for free" Owen says in a sassy tone. I love my brother so much. Christian chuckles. "Well we can all go on Saturday" Christian says and smiles then gets up.

"Okay" Owen says "I'll let you rest" Christian says and smiles at me. I smile back. I don't want you to leave.

"Okay" I say and he leaves the room. I close my eyes. "You like him" Owen states. I look at him. "I do not!" I say defending myself "oh you so do" he replies and laughs. "Owen! I don't!" I say and giggle. "Whatever Aria!" He says and laughs. I look the other way and smile. Maybe I do.

~ Saturday
Me, Owen, Lena and Christian had been out most of the day. It was cold and the wind was blowing, Chicago was so cold during winter times. I was wearing Owens hoodie, some jeans, and my new sneakers that Lena had bought me. My outfit actually matched this time.

Lena wore a dark red sweater, dark blue jeans, black Converse and a denim jacket. Christian wore a black shirt, black leather jacket, jeans, and high top Converse. Owen was wearing black sweats, a hoodie, and shoes that he had since before we came here. I liked our diversity.

We walk into a Barnes & Noble and it was warm and the air smelled like cinnamon and apples. If I could describe it, it would be like grandmas house during winter as a child. Not that I ever experienced it but this is what I think every time I would think of my grandma on Christmas day.

We walk up to a girl who looks to be older than me by like three years. "Ma'am" Lena calls out to her. She wore a white scarf, beige sweater, black jeans, and white shoes, she was nothing like me, she was skinnier than me, she wore makeup and knew how to do her hair. I looked like a fool next to her. I began to feel self conscious once again.

"Yes?" She says and looks at Lena then at all of us. She stops on Christian and examines him for a little then grins and looks back at Lena. I get a little jealous but he wasn't mine to get jealous over.

"Do you have any job openings?" Lena asks "we have two, one on stocking and one as a bookseller. Are you asking for yourself?" She asks "no actually, I'm here for her" Lena says and points at me. The girl looks at me and gently smiles then looks back at Lena.

"Well I can go ahead and give y'all a form and just come back before Tuesday and turn it in into any of my co-workers and my boss will take it from there" she says and smiles. "Oh okay, that'll be perfect, can I have your name?" Lena asks "Avery, I'll be back with that form just give me a second" she says and smiles then leaves. At least she's nice.

"Great!" Lena says and looks at me with a big smile. I kind of fake mine and wait for Avery to get back.

I wonder off into the store and look at some books that were close to us. "Aria? Ready to go?" Ask's Christian from behind me in a soft voice. I look at him and nod then we all leave.
~
"Can you start on Wednesday?" The manager asks Owen "j-just like that?" Owen says surprised "yep, we need as much help as we can get, and you look like a nice kid so I doubt you'll be a bad employee" the man says "well great! Yeah-yeah I can start on Wednesday" Owen says and goes to shake the man's hand. I smile happily for him.

We all leave giggling. "Well that was easy" Lena says "I know" I say and smile. "Hey, how far is the walk from here to the house" Owen asks "about twenty minutes" says Christian "jeez" Owen says and sighs and shrugs it off "why?" Ask's Christian "well, I'd have to walk here" Owen says "no, we can take you" Lena says and looks at Christian "really?" Owen says "yeah man" Christian says and smiles. They are so nice.

"And when Aria gets her job I can drop someone off and Christian can take the other if y'all's schedules are the same" Lena says "great, thank y'all" Owen says with a smile. "Thank you guys" I say and smile. "No problem" Lena says and gets in the car.

We all end the night by going to a nearby bakery and coffee place. When we head home Owen was in the passenger seat and Lena was driving. I was so nervous the whole way back to the house.