#Forty

Morpheus

We follow Xander to where the Beast had taken Kaya. On the way, I think of Nehalla, and I wonder how could she have taken off like that? Was that her plan from the start? For me to have my guard down with her, and wait for the perfect opportunity to escape?

Maybe Lorax's words hit me more than they should have? He told me and I quote, 'I knew she couldn't be trusted. She waited for the perfect opportunity to escape. I tried to warn you, but you decided not to listen to me.' But it was Kaya who had been taken. I know she has a special place in Nehalla's heart.

We finally stop and start looking for clues as to where the Beast might have taken her. I found myself in front of a tree. At the bottom, I see four claw marks on the tree tronc. They looked fresh. I don't waste my time as I climb the tree. Up here, I see the same claw marks like the ones at the bottom. I looked around to see if I could find some more. I see the same things on the tree next to mine. It was as if someone left us a trail to follow. Nehalla! It must be her, that's the only explanation I can think of.

I alert the others to what I have found. I don't wait for them. I follow what she left behind. I shouldn't have ever doubted her in the first place.

She's reckless to think she can do this on her own. She doesn't know who she's dealing with. I pray to the goddess for her safety, hoping I won't be too late for both of them.

As I arrive, I look around me and there I see them. Two bodies on the ground. One laying on the other.

"Nehalla!" I shout her name.

I don't wait and run to her side. when I see her lying on the ground motionless whilst someone's crushing her. As I run to her, I order Lorax to take Kaya back to her mother.

"What? I have to babysit again?" He has the nerve to complain in a time like this. I want to give him my peace of mind, but Nehalla is my priority.

Lucky for him, he didn't wait a moment to do what I asked of him. I will fucking deal with him later.

I shove the bastard away from her body and take her in my arms.

"Nehalla? Doll? Baby, can you hear me?" I don't care who overheard me. Her life is in danger. She's all that matters.

I look at the body next to us. "Burn the body so that no creature in this forest will eat it. This is no way for a Pagarion to be left behind. Give him a proper burial. He was once one of us. You two over there, build a stretcher with what you can find."

I know I should be with them to help, but someone should stay here with her to make sure nothing else happens to her. At this point, I don't trust anyone with her safety except myself.

I look at her beautiful face. Why didn't you wait for us? Why did you have to be so reckless? I keep asking in my head.

"Damn! I love you, and I didn't get the chance to tell you. So don't you dare and die on me. Doll, don't die on me, please." I say to her out loud.

"L-oud an-nd cle-ear." She whispers with struggle.

My eyes widen as my jaw drops a little. I didn't expect her to hear me, but when I see her smiling at me. I don't regret saying those words. I won't feel ashamed for how I feel.

I want to kiss her lips, but I hold back as I see the others around us. I hold her closer to me. I look at her neck as my eyes land on that stupid collar she's wearing. Without hesitation, I untie it from her neck and throw it as far as I can, watching it disappear in the distance.

"You don't need it anymore. Not after what you did for Kaya. If anyone tries to say otherwise, they will deal with me." I growl deep in my throat.

She's about to tell me something, but I stop her before she can do so. "Shh, don't speak. Keep your strength. Don't worry, doll, I got you."

"Chief the stretcher is ready," Xander informs me. I look at him. He did great today. It's time for him to take on more responsibilities.

Let's put him to the test. I say to myself.

"Pick someone to stay with you until the die is out." I give him an order.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

It was a long way to go, dragging Nehalla on the stretcher, but we made it, and here we are back home.

"How do you feel?" I ask her when I carefully help her get up.

"A little dizzy. Nothing the moon and the night can't fix." She tries to smile at me. She doesn't want me to worry about her.

"Chief Morpheus, I see you're back," Lorax tells me when he's by our side.

"How was it with Kaya? Is she now with her parents?" I ask him.

"Yes, she is. Everything is..." He suddenly stops talking as I see him staring at Nehalla suspiciously. Then his eyes go to her neck.

"Did she have the audacity to remove her collar herself?" He asks me. I'm about to answer him, but his lack of patience prevails once again. "You not only escaped us, but you also dared to remove your collar. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?" He dares to yell at her!

"Careful Lorax, you're playing on thin ice right now," I warn him. "I'm the one who removed it from her."

"You did what? Oh, I see you have the hots for her as your brother did. Look where it got him." Oh no, he didn't just go there.

"Watch your tongue!" I snap at him. "I'm the Chief of this clan. I'm the one who decides what's going on here. She saved Kaya's life. She deserves a second chance. Careful Lorax, or it will be your LAST!"

Everyone had gathered around us as we argued with each other.

"Let it be clear, Nehalla risked her own life to save Kaya, Sabi and Hunter's daughter. I declare that she deserves a second chance as she proved herself today."

Everyone accepted my decision except for one individual. Why am I not surprised?

"Is there something else you would like to add, Lorax?" He's getting on my last nerve.

"Yes, I do. I, Lorax, found that our Chief had lost his mind. I challenge him to take his place. I, Lorax, challenge Chief Morpheus to thá-nato. Which means a fight to the death."

Vote & Comment