#Forty-Two

Morpheus

I want to hold her a little longer in my arms. I put my hand on the back of her head as I hug her tighter against me. I can’t leave her like this. Not when she finally revealed her love for me. I have never felt so happy as I am right now.

If I think about it, it’s not quite the truth.

The first time I felt this way was when I spent the night with Nehalla while we were trapped inside the cave because of the rain.

I can’t believe she finally told me that she loves me. She said it right before my fight with Lorax.

Now I wonder if she meant these words or was it in the heat of the moment because she was scared for me. I’ll have to wait until after the fight to ask her. I have to clear my head to be a hundred percent in the fight and not be distracted by something else, even her.

I look at my surroundings while I approach the ring. It’s the same place where I faced my brother, Hajjar. It’s a treeless field, surrounded by rocks, boulders, and soil full of sand.

Now that I’m standing here, images of what I did to my brother flash before my eyes. This is where I almost killed my brother. Thanks to Kally, he didn't perish in my hands that day.

Come to think of it. Nehalla played a part in all of this as well. She was the one who put Hajjar in Kally’s path after finding him in the state that I left him in.

This is where my father and my brother fought each other so Hajjar would take his place as the Chief of the clan. It is where I became the Chief, fighting my brother. I will remain the alpha until I decide who is fit to replace me. Not the other way around.

Hn. Who does Lorax think he is to challenge me like that? I’ll show him when it’s all over.

The entire clan is here to watch each other fight. Even Nehalla is here. She was here before me. When I left her side earlier today, I had to go and prepare myself for the fight. I made sure it was Jarax who had brought her here.

He’s my second in command. I trust him with my life.

In the middle of the ring, I see Lorax. He stands there as if he already owns the place.

I go to my mother and leave a kiss on her forehead. She looks at me, nodding. Nehalla stands right next to her. I look at her in her beautiful light blue eyes, and all I want right now is to kiss her soft lips so I can show how much she means to me.

I move away from both of them to take my place in front of my opponent. As I walk, I remove my shirt. I stand in front of Lorax, waiting for Jarax to give us the signal to start this shit.

“Our Chief Morpheus had been challenged to Thá-nato. Which means a fight to the death, and he accepted it. His opponent is no other than Lorax. No one has the power to intervene. It’s the law. Break it, and you won’t like the consequences.” Jarax let out a roar, followed by the rest of the clan to let us know it was time to start.

After we receive the green light to start, I see Lorax advance rapidly right at me to make his first move.

Hn. Didn't I already tell him that his impatience would be his undoing? He’ll never learn. It’s sad that after this, it will be too late for him to do so.

He made a sloppy gesture that I had no problem blocking his punch. With this opportunity presenting itself to me, I grab that opening to hit him on the right side of his face, and the second punch hit him on the right side of his mouth. Lorax stumbles from behind.

Now, it’s my turn. I grab his throat to swing a hit, again and again. To my surprise, he succeeds in blocking the third punch I aim at him.

“The first thing that I’m going to do when I take your place is get rid of her, or maybe I’ll have a taste of my own. It looks like she has a thing for the alpha male. She did your brother, and now you. So maybe she will …”

I didn’t let him finish his sentence. I see red. I hit him square on the jaw. No one, I mean, NO ONE talks about her that way. Maybe he thinks that by telling me this, I will lose my focus. Unfortunately for him, he's wrong. He’s dead wrong.

The bastard hit me on my ribs. It makes me lose my balance. He takes this opportunity to send me to the ground and hit me repeatedly.

He seems so sure he already won. He didn’t notice as I put my foot on his stomach to push him away from me.

I grab his hair from behind to yank his head toward me as I let his throat expose to me. I extend my claws and place them on the base of his throat as he struggles to free himself.

I hear him plead for his life. “Please, Morpheus, spare me. All I wanted was for the clan to be safe. Now I see my fault in my actions. Don’t do this. We have known each other our entire lives. please, Chief Morpheus, I beg you.”

Hn. Pathetic.

If he hadn’t challenged me to Thá-nato or talked about Nehalla the way he did, I might have spared his life. But now, it's too late for him.

“Didn’t I tell you that one day your impatience to do things will be your downfall? Now that day has come. If you hadn’t challenged me as you did, I might have spared you. Now, my old friend, it’s too late for you. Pray that our goddess will spare your soul.” I tell him one last time.

I slit his throat with my claws to end his life. I push his lifeless body to the ground. I plunge my hand in his blood and mark my white skin so everyone can see who the winner is.

When his body hit the ground, I let out a beastly roar. I won this fight. I’m still the Chief.

Jarax lets out a roar. The clan join us to acknowledge my victory.

Vote & Comment