8

JULIET

" My friend, no person should leave this world without first having gone through at least a fifth of the parties I went to during these two years of my university. Mother of God, do you know what the bodies of university students are like in their fraternities where they spend more hours in the gym than in the library?"

My friend's anecdote makes me giggle as I pour glasses and white wine in two glasses while she unwraps the sushi and chopsticks. For me, I take out a fork since I could never manipulate chopsticks like my friend does. Among so many talents that she keeps, there is also the point of knowing how to eat as a decent person would when it comes to Chinese food.

Once we are seated, I keep an eye on the time and on my computer, which remains charging in the room. I put the phone aside on the table, we both toast and she continues to tell me between laughs while I pass a piece of salmon with seaweed and cream cheese for a sweet and sour sauce:

"Do you know what it's like to be with two at the same time?"

I look at her, wincing. I know something about it because she has told me, but she has not gone into details, arguing that this would happen the day we can see each other in person like now.

"Well, I guess you're not talking about two pieces of sushi cooked at once."

"I prefer raw meat."

"Holy crap, Rhonda!" I blurt out, with a laugh as well. " So is it true that you ate two hot dogs at the same time?"

"One of the best experiences of my life. I think that the day I decide to support a monogamous couple, it will only be on the condition that some freedom is enabled when it comes to choosing how many hot dogs we can eat, or, to choose if one day you prefer hamburger or sea clam. Get it?"

"Did you try the clam?"

She shrugs her shoulders.

Wow, I didn't know that part.

"How come you didn't tell me?" I demand as I look at the new piece of sushi I'm trying to hold. I think that I will no longer be able to see it with the same eyes while I eat something from the sea.

"Don't worry, it's not something I would do freely forever."

"That means you didn't like it."

" Depends on the context. That night was part of the fun plan and I couldn't let such an opportunity go by. I liked it, but only because there were sausages in it too."

It doesn't sound good to me gastronomically eating clams with sausage, but she liked it so who am I to judge.

"How many were they?"

"Five plates. Like when you go to dinner at a five-course restaurant."

"Rhonda, go!"

"I have wonderful memories, I always thought that I would condemn people who have a sweet tooth, but it was my chance and I couldn't let it pass."

Plop!

I look at the time again.

The screen of my cell phone has not stopped turning on minute by minute, practically for a long time when this Neville Samsó, assistant to the mega-businessman Kerem Deniz, contacted me for the video conference meeting tonight with the magnate of his firm. I was investigating him, he has powerful investments in the Stock Market and he is also an "angel" within the category of investors in new technologies.

Possibly he is behind the platform for which I work, I am not sure, but for some reason it is assumed that he has been settled in the United States for practically a year, with the prospect of returning to Turkey after his future work in the spectacular city of Silicon Valley of which a lot is talked about.

Rhonda picks up on my concern upon discovering the message.

"What's going on?" she asks me.

"He's not online yet is he?"

"Yes, but he asked me to be attentive a few minutes before."

" Tell him that you are mine."

" Hello. Calling." Says his message.

" Ok" I send, but with doubts.

I wipe my mouth with a napkin.

" That he respects your time, they are also important" my friend moves the mobile in her own direction. "Or does he not need you more than you?"

"Well, it's true. Yes."

" Tell him that he respects your hours."

She passes it to me.

I have a missed call from him.

I keep eating, but this time with some difficulty and discomfort.

I really don't want to lose this job.

"Are you there?"

I really want to see him and talk to him.

"HEARS."

I really, really care, it's like a sixth sense that pushes me to want to know about his life and his reality.

"How long until the agreed time?" Rhonda asks me.

"Three minutes."

"Then tell him."

Sigh.

"There are still three minutes to go" I tell him and explain to myself so as not to look so bad "I'm having dinner."

"It's now or never," he replies furiously.

This is already worrying me too much.

"Make your case," my friend pricks me.

"Two minutes, Mr. Deniz," I tell him.

And I get up to go to my room.

"Sorry, I won't be long, I promise," I tell my friend.

I stand up and go to the room. Once I locate a point where there is a smooth wall and without so many stains behind it, I point the mobile in my direction and turn on the call option within the app.

He makes me wait a few seconds until he finally answers.

His features are defined and he wears a heavy beard that adorns his jaw and the entire mouth. Too full lips, jet black hair and dark eyes, with a wide jaw to match his shoulders.

It looks formal, but relaxed.

Like a megalomaniac millionaire that he is, concluding his routine for the day.

"Good evening, Mr. Deniz," I say to him in English. "I hope I haven't wasted too much of your time, I respect my own schedule."

"Okay," he answers in a husky, determined, manly voice. "The conversation is very short: You're fired."

"What?"

"What you just heard. Keep eating. If you don't have time for me, you won't have time for my son. Bye."

And he cuts the call.