30

KEREM

"Juliet Mindy, what the hell did you do?"

I bolt into her room and I don't care in the slightest what she has to say about her privacy. I can almost hear Neville as the voice of my conscience reminding me to keep my distance and self-control, but it's not what I want now.

Once I enter her room, I take it upon myself to close the door to prevent her from making a fuss.

She just watches me carefully.

"Sorry?"

"Massera. You spoke with him!"

"I only apologized on your behalf, I wanted him to be able to reconsider the offer you made in the first instance."

"I endorsed you to do it?!"

"It seemed sensible to me."

"It is sensible that you do things with my permission while you work for me, Juliet!"

"Why should I ask your permission for everything? That was in a personal capacity."

"It wasn't if it involved your boss."

"You are no longer my boss... You're going to fire me tomorrow."

"I am until tomorrow!"

I hate, I hate, I hate that she is so rebellious, that she has an answer to everything, that even when I yell at her, she doesn't seem to realize that she better shut that damn mouth and just follow the rules!

"I did what I thought was the right thing to do," she tells me with her eyes fixed on me, not taking her eyes off me and holding her chin up and not feeling intimidated by the close distance between the two of us.

Evidently this woman is seeking a declaration of war. Why does she have to be as cute as she is sassy? Don't you know that if you shut up you'd look even better? Pretty girls fail when their tongues are too long.

"Well, it wasn't the right thing to do."

"And what would be the right thing to do, in your opinion, Mr. Deniz?"

"It is that you limit yourself to doing what you are told, no more, no less."

"And what did Mr. Massera tell you that made you so angry about me? I only offered him an apology, which I now regret. Obviously you didn't deserve me to do a gesture like that for you."

"Well, that old man has intimidated me."

She frowns, waiting for me to elaborate.

"In what sense?"

"He wants to negotiate a part of the investment in exchange for you going to work with him."

She blinks in wonder and takes a step back.

"Isn't that a great idea?"

"But I don't see any coherence, as soon as the old man has told me..."

"Now stop calling him that."

"It's okay. Don Massera had barely met me at that time and that's it."

"Well, it seems he liked you."

"Then look for a prostitute or a companion, I'm not going to work on that if that's what you expect."

"No, Juliet. Nope!"

How hard is it to make her understand things and stop being SO defensive with everyone everywhere?

Exhausted and with my head still pounding inside me, I slump down on the foot of the bed, elbows braced on my knees, holding my head in my hands, similar to a gesture necessary to try to stop bothering me so much noise in my inner world.

I take a breath and let go in search of peace.

She sits next to me.

"Are you okay?" she asks me.

"I don't think so."

"I... I can move forward with the option of learning about Massera's job offer, without accepting for the moment, but to gain time until he is already part of the investment that you have been pursuing since our arrival in this city."

It seems that suddenly she wants to collaborate, something is moving her that horrible cruelty that is kept inside.

"S...sir," she warns, still at my side. "There's something I have to tell you that I haven't told you yet."

Okay, three seconds of peace was too much to ask of her.

I raise my head a little, looking at her straight ahead and waiting for her to release what she has to release.

"Well?" Impatience stresses me out.

"But first... You have to tell me why you don't like the idea of ​​me working for someone else if you don't want me anymore."

"Well..." while I speak my eyes scan her features, from her thick mouth to her penetrating eyes. Why the hell does she have to be so pretty and make things even more difficult for me? "Because you are not obedient and I would not want to look bad with a partner."

"Hmm, I don't think so."

In addition to being intelligent, she doesn't bite her tongue either.

She continues:

"It seems to me that you're trying to get me off my back as soon as possible and a work relationship with Massera or one of his relatives would only complicate things, extending our ties. And you couldn't boss me around anymore because I wouldn't be your employee anymore."

I swallow thickly, trying to release the lump in my throat that's made it impossible for me to breathe during the time she's stated the obvious.

"Yes," I confess without preamble."That's right."

"Why then do you want to get rid of me?"

"Because...you make things...even more difficult for me."

"Difficult in what way?"

My hands grip the edges of the bed and I find myself facing her. I can't stop looking at her.
I lean towards her and kiss her. Her lips meet mine and I can't get the image of Zara out of my head as Juliet kisses back, letting go and enjoying herself, this time without the need for either of us to be drunk.

Elijah's voice crosses my head "Man, stop being so oblivious, it's clear that the relationship between you two screams ALERT: SEXUAL TENSION!", but also Zara turning on her way to her plane and disappearing . "Love you. I love you with my heart. I'll be back tomorrow. I promise."

You promised.

My eyes fill with tears.

You promised to return.

Tears moisten our lips.

But you never did, Zara.

I pull away from her and a horrible cry comes from inside me, crying with fury and despair. Letting out a hateful, horrible cry, the kind that I only had as a child when my parents argued loudly, when I felt that panic was taking over me. Suddenly I feel weak, hurt, hurt.

I brace myself with my hands on my thighs and try to control it, but the tears keep falling and I hear my own voice crying.

"M...sir... I'm sorry, I don't..." She starts from my side, but I evade standing up furiously and storm out of her room like lightning, preventing her from seeing me cry like that. Not even my own wife ever did, let alone she will.

I disappear into the elevator, knowing that she's stuck at the door, watching me with concern.