36

JULIET

"Look at this."

"Oh my god!"

I show Rhonda by video call during breakfast, the huge window that has a dream view of the streets of Silicon Valley. I also take a tour of the restaurant, its glass doors that allow you to see the height of the magnificent architectural design of the hotel with the elevators glazed in the center like columns erected with a lot of prominence in its main beauty.

I stop for a minute enjoying the situation, to share the space where I am with my friend.

"You see? It's beautiful!"

"Come back, come back!"

"What? Where?"

"Down! On the right!"

"There?"

"Not that much. About four tables to your right."

"Oh, damn," I return to her. "Rhonda, I'm showing you around where I'm at and you're only looking at the men at the tables."

"You know that mature men have always been my weakness."

"Hummm, that doesn't mean that they're more important than your best friend."

"You'll always be my friend, no matter how many mature men stand between us, eh?" she proposes.

I smile.

These days we were only exchanging a few messages, it is the first time that we can make a video call. She's still in bed and says she should get up to study, but this time I've been in this city, I doubt she's studied anything. I know she went on a couple of Tinder dates and that she'd get me new sheets. I haven't asked what kind of an accident that decision brought about.

As she tells me about her exchange of messages with the matches on the app and the points and benefits the app has given her for being a girl who gets good dates (or something like that). I never got badges or anything like that from dating apps which I have rarely used. In fact, I would not believe someone who says that they have never used them, especially if it is a person who was single in times of the digital world, who was free to be part of a catalog similar to a menu, let me cast the first stone.

I stay on the call until someone jumps up near me and runs in the direction of the elevator. It's a security guard. Other people from the security team also. They unfold and seem to go up. What's going on? I hope it's not a terrorist attack or something like that.

"Amicha? Amicha, are you there?"

"Yes, but...I don't know what's going on."

"Why?"

"People have suddenly disturbed, it seems that there are problems, but I don't understand well what it is about."

"A sexy older man tried to seduce you?"

"No, no, I'm serious. The security people seem excited and have gone up to the room. I don't know if my boss and his people have already come down."

Ali.

I think of Ali.

I don't know what could have happened upstairs, but the little one hasn't come down with Thammy for breakfast yet, the hotel is big enough, what could have happened? I hope it's nothing near or on my family's floor.

Immediately afterwards they announce that they are blocking the doors.
People are alerted and ask why, the guards warn that it is for the safety of the guests.

Holy shit, what's up?

"Rhonda, I'm sorry, but I'll go see if everything's okay. I'm worried about Ali, I have no idea what's going on, but I need to know that he's okay."

"Sure, go."

I get up without even finishing my morning coffee and run to the elevator, only to find it's blocked.

"Sorry, miss, but it's not possible to go up now."

"Why? What is happening?" I join the claims of other people who are demanding explanations.

"It is for the safety of all the guests."

My God.

I run to the stairs.

They are also blocked.

I dial Neville, but the answering machine immediately picks up, announcing that the phone is off.

I send Thammy a WhatsApp, but dismiss the option, going back to calls. I dial and call. And call. And call.

Until she answers.

Thank God!

"Juls! How are you?"

Oh, someone else has decided to call me that dull name, but this time it doesn't bother me too much

"Thammy. Are you okay? You and Ali?"

"Yes! I'm so sorry we haven't come down yet! We've been late with the morning bath, but right now your favorite student will be flawless for his language learning performance, right, baby? If you could see how he laughs knowing that I'm talking to you."

"Thank goodness, Thammy. Listen to me, stay in the room."

"What are you talking about? Oh wait, the phone in the room is ringing."

"Thammy, listen to me. Tham..."

"Hello?"

She's already distracted.

A police patrol car parks at the door and two agents get out and settle at the entrance.

The elevator turns on.

And go up.

"Juls," Thammy returns to the phone. "I have just been told by Reception not to go down in the next three to five minutes or leave the rooms. Can you explain to me what the hell is going on?"

"Wait a minute, Thammy. Pay attention to him."

And I hang up.

Well...I'm about to find out.

The glass elevator goes down...

With two security guards holding a man, keeping him handcuffed, as if he were going to detonate at any moment.

He has blood.

And I know that man.