65

JULIET

It's not that I've worked hard for a good outfit, I just asked for an online transfer. And while I arrived I put on a slightly sportier shirt, tied my hair up, with leggings and sneakers. I don't have good sports clothes, but that's what I'm guessing considering the location he sent me to is the park, where people gather to work out, where the trainers put on their street crossfit scenes, and where the runners come to plague the sidewalks as when they were blamed in the past, when it was said that by doing physical activity they were the ones who spread a pandemic virus. Yuck, stupid.

Today is completely different. Everything is very normal, people run and exercise. The speakers fill the immense green space with music and they just left me in the exact corner where he indicated before with respect to the GPS.

After paying through the app, I get off with my water bottle in hand and it's easy for me to find my goal. Well, he is the only man who is wearing a jacket, a shirt open at the neck, and has an imposing presence and height. All the girls who run around look at him as they pass, but he only has his eyes on me, leaving me with my breath caught in my throat as I move in his direction, also knowing that I must have most likely blushed.

"I feel cheated" I confess as I approach this elegant man who has nothing to do with the fitness spectrum of the people around.

"Did you think I'd make you exercise in the park?"

"It's what people come here for."

"If you want, we can do it. I have a very strict routine, but I prefer the irons of the gym in the building where I live in New York or the ones I have at home in Turkey."

"Do you have a gym at home?"

"Of course."

And he says it with that hint of smugness that could only come from a person as self-centered, powerful and wealthy as he is.

He gives me a smile that causes the same in my face.

"Okay, so I don't see the unicorn."

He raises an eyebrow and signals me to cross the street.

I go over to his side.

"Is that what you wanted for a birthday present?"

"Ugh, no. I hated girls who dreamed of it. I just wanted a new video game console or computer." "That is much more viable and more powerful, considering your abilities with technology. You knew how to use it for your benefit and in the matter of increasing your work."

"If it's a compliment, thank you very much."

"This way."

He points me to a building facing the park. It has a key to enter, an aspect that catches my attention. Once I greet the doorman, I walk through the entrance and look around carefully.

I feel the dry palate.

"What is this place? It's beautiful."

"It's alright."

It's alright? All glass, all mirrors, all luxury. We got on the elevator after greeting the concierge at the entrance and advanced a few floors.

"Seriously, aren't you going to say what it is, Kerem?

"Of course."

"Well, tell me."

"Not yet."

"Oh Kerem! I don't like surprises, the anxiety of anticipation consumes me, you can't do this to me!"
"Of course I can."

"You know I'll pay you back."

"I accept the challenge."

Do you know how heart-stopping it is to see him smile mischievously, with those dimples standing out from his perfectly trimmed beard and white teeth showing eloquently? You are right. Of course you know. And I suspect that all your life you have used it to your advantage.

"We're here," he warns as soon as we stop on the twelfth floor.

It is after a patio space, swimming pool or study room that marks the elevator keypad.

"Come," he offers me as soon as the doors open.

He takes out a key with a magnetic card and puts it through one of the doors of the wide corridors with railings around.

He looks at me carefully as he opens the door, like he wants to size up my face.

Open.

And I look inside.

It is a very nice apartment. Luxurious, shiny. With large windows and a balcony that is also large with sunlight that is blocked by automatic blackout, a kitchen separated from the living room at the entrance, a wonderful library and it is fully furnished. It seems that he is ready for someone to live here, but not that he already does.

"Kerem, this place is beautiful. Does your family have property in this city too?"

"No. It's not mine."

"Then how come you have a key?"

Then he hands me the key and the card.

I look at him strangely.

"Wh-what?"

"It's yours."

I blink and giggle.

"No, no, no, seriously, it's a good joke."

"I just closed a deal to rent the apartment. It is furnished and much more comfortable for your meetings. In fact, the study and meeting rooms on the ground floor are very important so that you have the ideal context for your classes."

"Kerem, have you gone crazy?"

"Don't worry about the money, it's all covered with the firm I work for. I hope you'd like to give me the sofa if I ever have to travel."

Flicker. My eyes burn. I feel like crying... I really want to!

"What...the hell are you talking about, Kerem?!"

My voice breaks.

And I can see that a slight sparkle appears in his eyes that leaves me with an unsteady pulse.

"Kerem, tell me," I insist, my voice sharp.

Silence.

So I complete it.

"You will leave. You will go to Turkey."

"You already know that, Juliet."

"But no... Not like this... You offered me..."

"Juls. Accept the apartment, please."

"I thought you wanted...! God, how stupid I was!"

I can't take it anymore and I turn around to the elevator.

"Juliet!" he calls from behind me, but I rush to close the elevator doors immediately, tears streaming down my face.

Why Kerem?! Why?!!