14

JULIET

I've always been a protester and despite all the warnings from Kerem, I feel advantaged to impose my own authority and exercise my free thinking before such a despotic and insensitive man.

Before coming to this lunch, Thammy already told me that since this man hired her, she hasn't seen him smile once. In fact, she thought her name was not even known since she had no recollection of ever hearing him mention it once. She is in charge of the boy at night while another person is in charge during the day and they take care of Ali full time, in addition to teaching him "Manners" which Kerem demanded from the first moment. It is a requirement that they must also teach Ali to speak, so that he is inserted into the language before. They have an arsenal of stimuli so that the little one counts in his day to day and thus be the most intelligent creature in the world since I can't understand why otherwise some people whose sole objective is to raise a lucky person subsist on a day to day basis of genius with a governess, teachers, a father absent in his love for the little one and a mother who has just passed away.

I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
In addition, from the first moment that my meeting with Ali took place, I discovered that he is a boy full of love. Her little arms went around me and he gave me a smile loaded with approval-seeking.

My little.

Now we're on our way to the fancy luncheon that Kerem wants me to attend because I "have to" just like that, while Neville points out that a vase woman is necessary in the eyes of others.

It's my only job, other than to hold Ali and coddle and pamper him in case he cries. I don't think it's a bad idea, we're just getting to know each other.

Once we arrive at the destination in one of Mr. Deniz's private transport, which is barely a few blocks away, we get off and from the first moment I know that this is not the type of place that I never thought I would attend.

The building is full of luxuries: it is immense, when I raise my head I lose myself in the sky, it has large glass windows, security agents everywhere and important families are entering. There are official photographers of the event, but I also distinguish that there are accredited press.

"Will we be in tomorrow's newspapers?" I ask Kerem, joining him while Ali looks left and right at so many people and so many colors; I suspect that he has not taken him out on the street for a long time.

"I don't know about newspapers, but probably in Forbes or financial magazines."

"Can you explain to me what the event is about?"

"A welcome lunch organized by young start-ups for angel investors who are dabbling in technology, although most of them already have some experience."

"And what is your role?"

"Entrepreneurships that haven't taken off yet. The objective is to give them the necessary support to post to them and analyze if it is profitable or not."

Wow, Mr. Deniz has answered me three questions in a row, I think I'm creating a monster.

"How about you?"

Those words were not expected.

We are entering and we take some options they serve as entrees and snacks. He gets a glass of purple-tinged wine while I opt for lemonade, though I struggle with Ali in my arms.

His car is in service to be able to locate him, however in his arms he is less likely to cry, plus there are steps everywhere. Possibly when we stay in a stable place, ask for the car.

"Me, Mr. Deniz?"

"Yes, did you ever think about embarking on your discipline?"

"In languages?"

"Yes."

"I don't think so, that's not for me."

"How long are you going to continue selling your time?"

"I don't sell my 'time'. I sell my studies, my knowledge, and my teaching skills. I am a freelancer, not an entrepreneur."

"Sure, all that per hour.

"Yes, there is no other way."

"If you had your own platform, your market could be much more expansive, selling hundreds or thousands per hour and even while you sleep. There's no better business in the world than that, Juliet: the one that keeps making money for you when you sleep. There are people awake every night looking to learn something new, there are bold people hungry for growth who are willing to give them that."

"I already know which side I'm on."

"But it's not enough and you know it. You must turn that equation that you have up to now, you are a leader in a platform, that is to say that you know how it is used, what are the criteria for it to be successful and you are aware of how its algorithm works. TRUE?"

"What are you leading to, Mr. Deniz?"

"Yes or no?"

"Yeah, I think I know something.

"It's enough. And you know what the failures are because you experience it from within the system, as part of it."

"I know the shortcomings, yes."

"And do you know how to compensate them?"

"Hmm, probably.

"Do you know what a SWOT matrix is?"

"Yes, I know what it is. I once studied it in my last year of school in the subject of 'Research Methods' and I also think I have seen something about it in Economics."

"Make one with your profession and then we'll talk about it. Not now: when you have time."

"Kerem!"

"Ian!"

Someone just got my boss's absolute attention. Then he exchanges some games with Ali, but he doesn't like the man who talks too loud and smells strongly of coffee and cigarettes.

I have to step aside with Ali to rock him and look at the expensive paintings in the main hall as I speak softly to him, yet my head is left spinning at the offer from Kerem.

Does he want me to design my own venture or did I misunderstand? Why would he want me to participate in something like that?