72

JULIET

The dark figure continues advancing and my hands remain clinging to the gate to be able to enter quickly if necessary.

But the better I distinguish who I have in front of me, the more the fear that produced me in a previous moment leaves my body.

My breath quickens as I discover Kerem, Ali in his arms, moving toward me. How is this possible? It can't be, what are they doing here? I must be hallucinating, it must be a product of my imagination and none of this is happening.

Kerem steps toward me steadily. Ali begins to celebrate by waving his little arms as he snaps out of what appears to be a half-awake state. As soon as he sees me, he becomes completely agitated and begins to want to throw himself in my direction.

"It's not true, it's not true." The words escape my mouth and my field of vision dissolves into a dense crystalline layer.

I blink, letting the tears fall down my cheeks and he takes a few more steps in my direction.

To my surprise, once he's within a few feet, he drops Ali to the ground. He sets his little feet weakly and Kerem leads him in my direction. What I see leaves me completely absorbed.

"You couldn't miss Ali's first steps," Kerem says of his son, holding tight to the baby who tries to run rather than learn to walk, running up to me.

I squat down and stretch out my arms.

A meter or so away, Kerem lets go and Ali flaps his little feet until he throws himself into my hands that catch him before he falls.

I hug him tightly and I am a sea of ​​tears. My little. I had no idea that I missed you so much, I didn't know how much I missed you until you were finally wrapped in my arms, sweetheart of my heart.

You are a lover, you are wonderful, you have stolen my entire soul.

"Thammy was working with him."

"When I left... He was already trying to start walking..." I comment, trying not to notice how broken my voice is.

I pick Ali up in my arms and rise back to my feet, facing Kerem.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, still absorbed and uncomfortable by the short distance between the two of us. All this time I was used to thousands of kilometers. I had even made up my mind that I would never see him again, I was almost convinced that this life was only part of the past.

"I had to do it. I had to come for you. Reality has slapped me hard until it finally...opened my eyes, Juliet. I have my son, I have my partner, I have a family that is not...not complete without you."

That I did not expect.

Something inside of me is turning and going into revolutions while I listen to him. With what law? By what right did he dump me like that in New York and try to leave me in a gilded cage so he could run off and find his dead, treacherous wife? I know that these are very cruel words to think like this now, but it is the reality.

He wanted to make sure that everything was already lost and then come to change my plans with total injustice and playing with my feelings.

"However," he murmurs sadly. "I see that you have already decided to move on with your life and meet new...people..."

"Excuse me? Are you calling me promiscuous?" I have been crying and heartbroken every night, thousands of kilometers from my reference home for him to come and tell me that I have come to live a crazy life, it is definitely nonsense.