18

JULIET

I believe that the child is an excuse to escape from what this man tries to subject me to as much of the despot and autocratic that he is.

Is he forcing me to go to his room? Everyone is present, some curious ears may be listening to us now. I glance in all directions however everyone is going about their business, except for Neville and Thammy who have a petrified expression on Mr. Kerem.

It's scary, I know. It's like a bomb that if you think you look at it a little wrong could be the same as touching the wrong cable and getting it to explode without any return. I know, it's like a horror movie, it's the killer waiting with the ax on the other side.

"Leave Ali with Thammy so she can get on with her work with my son," he explains, making my knees tremble.

"He's on his nap time, why wake him up?" I tell him the obvious, barely processing my response.

"To be disciplined in healthy habits."

"He's ten months old!" I yelled at the very animal, I don't understand why he walks like that, believing that his son should be raised in the military style even though he's just a small baby, is he really not able to see it? "What kind of habits do you think for a child who is barely close to one year old?!"

"So that it doesn't fall on a person like you. Now come to my room right away and stop talking back to me, Juliet."

That definitely meant a knife to my ribs.

A person like me.

I know the kind of person I am, where I come from, and what I'm trying to change today...and that's why I'm leaving Ali with Thammy and going with him, humoring him, but with a cocktail of anger and outrage gushing through my veins.

At the moment he opens the door of his room with the magnetic card, I pass and nail myself to the ground at the entrance, while he has to half push me to close the door. Well, I'm the one who moves, but it's necessary otherwise I'm afraid my shoulder will burst when I close the door behind him.

The moment he stands in front of me, something like a meter away, the need arises in me to have more personal space. It's that his very strong perfume that only accounts for something fresh and expensive with a hypnotic power, added to his firm eyes fixed on me (why does it have to be so intense and intimidating even to look?) and his marked jaw that shows his muscles and details to perfection that only makes you think about fear, tension, disgust, I don't know if he ever lived knowing that he was something other than the monster that he shows everyone as his main facade.

"Tell me what your problem is," he says with a firm voice.

I narrow my eyes.

"Sorry?"

"Tell me what your problem is, Juliet. You want money? Do you want more money so you can learn to keep quiet and follow my orders?"

"I think the person who could use a lesson in manners is you, after all. I'm just asking you to be kinder and stop treating the rest of us like potential enemies out to harm your son."

"At least you, that's what you plan."

"How can you think something like that about me if you hardly know me?"

"That's why. I barely know you. And you take advantage of the fact that you have your talent and we are certainly far away, time is pressing and fate somehow wanted you to be in charge of my son, who, by the way, was lucky to like you, only if you talk to him like a fool,my son will later be a fool and it is not what I want."

"He's a baby! And babies are treated as babies!"

"I want him to be an educated boy and to incorporate from the earliest of his time to be a decent boy."