69

KEREM

Five days later

My return flight from Canada has me plagued with disappointment. The idea was at night, but the return leaves me devastated to see by day what the town of Rocky Mountains means in my life. They all ran their course, they all made the decisions they had to make, they just kept going.

Because you can't stop the world.

You cannot stop life itself.

I have tears in my eyes, looking at an email that has devastated me, even though my lawyer had already notified me.

They will close the investigation after being able to identify genetic material from all the passengers who did not survive the flight.

The airline will hold a ceremony in New York with a monument erected with the support of the United States government in Alliance with Canadian peace associations. I'm not ready to see it. I did not want to go in person to the meeting where they will give me Zara's ashes, her parents traveled from Turkey to receive it in person and they must have already returned. Everything has been mediated by my lawyer, since I have not been able to talk to Neville either due to the pride and tension of these days.

Using the WiFi connectivity of this private flight, I go to a meeting window with an alert for Neville.

I ask him if he has a moment. He never takes long to respond, but this time spending a long few minutes until I see his response on the screen.

"Yes sir."

"Did you hear about the flight?"

"Her family already has the remains and what could be identified as ashes. They will throw it into the river where she used to go fishing with her parents."

"I'm a horrible person for not going, aren't I, Neville?"

"You are a widowed husband who is still trying to get over the shock of a dark life on the part of your late wife and you are the father of a young baby."

"There is little left for Ali's first year and I haven't thought about what I can give him."

"Being by his side I think it would be something very valuable for the little one. It is time for his father to approach him."

"I know. I have to spend time with him, now that there won't be another person to do it. Not his mother. I discovered it. About the message."

"Ian came for you, sir. He wanted to talk about it."

"We had a conversation with Ian. He doesn't want to take a paternity test, I suggested it, but no. He insists that Ali's father is me, although sooner or later it will have to be known according to what my son's genetics and identity deserve."

"I think that is one hundred percent correct, sir. And what about the text message?"

"Zara had replicated a parallel contact number with another mobile when she was away from me to be able to communicate with Ian, being able to change the device without changing the number or arousing any suspicion."

"Oh. Did she really do all that?"

"In fact, it is simpler than we think and much more frequent than any mortal can imagine."

"Sir, indeed, I am very sorry."

"Can I call you?"

"Sure."

I start the video call and he doesn't take long to show up. From time to time his image is marked, but his voice is audible.

From the little that I distinguish from the visual, I detect something unmistakable.

"I recognize that library," I warn.

"Yes sir. Sorry for not having fulfilled the indefinite vacation."

"Neville, thank you."

It suddenly dawns on me what I've done, leaving my baby boy behind to go to another country in the care of a single girl, leaving my right-hand man Neville behind after arguing with him for warning me about what I'm doing. More of the same, just deepening an acute pain that is still very difficult for me to process, perhaps because my life was marked by a horrible bandage to what it meant to recognize and accept emotions.

"You needed it, sir. And it is part of my life to do my job."

"Buuummmmaaaa!"

I chuckle as I hear this person intruding on the audio chat.

"They're there with you, right?"

"Yes sir."

"I want to see them."

"Hellooo!"

Thammy shows up, cheerful as ever. She places a chair next to Neville and Ali is in her arms.

"Waaaaa!" Ali yells when he sees me.

"See, little one? It's Daddy!" Thammy bellows.

"Hi son. Thanks, Thammy," I say.

"I... I have to tell him..."

"I know. I knew it from the beginning watching the cameras."

Thammy's wife, Neville and Elijah were hanging around the house to help Thammy with her stuff and me with the company while I was tunnel visioned looking for answers regarding Zara.

Now I know the truth.

I am devastated, but with some peace.

A peace that has left a hole in my chest.

"I'm sorry sir."

"Don't worry, I thank you.To you. Everyone, Thammy. Especially to you for taking care of the most valuable thing I have in my life, which is my son Ali."

"Mmmmmmmá!'

I blink, amazed at what I just heard.

"E-excuse me?"

We all turn to Ali at once.

Ali is looking at me and stretches out his little hands in the direction of the screen.

To me.

"Maaaammmmaaaa!"he insists.

"Did he just call me 'Mom'?" I ask, filled with laughter and a rising emotion that I didn't even know could happen.

"Good heavens, yes, sir! I swear it's the first time he's done it!" Thammy assures.

Neville laughs.

"I think you are someone very valuable to your son, sir."

"Mamamamammmmaa!" insisted Ali.

"Yes son. Yes" I say with a broken voice and not knowing how to continue with this, before the sea of ​​tears that floods me. "I... I love you... I'll be with you soon. And I will not leave your side again. I promise."