XII

Ballister's Pov
——————————————————

The Directors voice rang out from the intercoms, I rolled my eyes in annoyance and turned to Nimona, who had practically the same reaction as me, and glared at a cluster of knights that were walking by.

"Don't be alarmed, please remain calm. This is only a test." One of the knights said. I narrowed my eyes and hid further behind the corner of the alley.

"Ohh! A 'don't be alarmed' alarm. How effective." Nimona said with sarcasm lacing her tone.

"Duh! Haven't you always wanted an alarm that does basically nothing, besides scare away any nearby birds?" Y/N scoffed from beside me, receiving a laugh from Nimona.

I muttered under my breath and turned so I was facing both of them. "The second we let our guards down, something terrible comes over that wall."

"Have you ever even been outside the wall?" Nimona asked, tilting her head to the side questioningly.

"Yeah, 'cause I have a death wish. No! No one has!" I snapped, throwing up my hands in exaggeration.

"So, maybe there's nothing there?" Nimona said, crossing her arms. I took a moment of contemplation and decided against it, why would they be right?

"You know what? We're going underground, without the wings." I said, walking towards the outside of the alley while adjusting my hood.

"You're gonna want them later." Nimona said, visibly deflating.

"So where are we headed to exactly?" Y/N asked from behind both Nimona and I.

"The subway, same way we got you." I answer with a shrug.

As we were walking, we passed by a kid on a mechanical horse yelling, 'Die!' over and over again.I ignored it and kept walking, when he suddenly screamed, "Go back to the shadows from-!" He was interrupted by Nimona unplugging the machine and stealing the wire, and Y/N tipping the machine over with him still on it with mischievous look on both their faces.

I walked down the stairs to the subway with a neutral expression on my face as Nimona bounced off a trash can and onto the step in front of me, with Y/N running up from behind them and jumping on their shoulders, only for the both of them to tumble down the stairs. I rolled my eyes and approached the escalator as they got up.

"So cool, we're famous." Nimona gasped, glancing up at three huge wanted posters of us.

"You've got to be kidding me." I muttered, looking at them from the corner of my eye.

"Ah, I love us." Nimona said with a dreamy sigh.

"I'm illegal." Y/N said proudly, leaning onto the side of the escalator with a smile.

"Dork." Nimona muttered with a small grin breaking out onto her face. Y/N lightly smacked them in the back of the head.

I looked down at the end of the escalator to see a knight, checking for people's faces. I turned and saw two more knights behind me, sure one was injured but they could still report us.

"We're never going to make it on that train without them seeing us." I said, looking over to Nimona for ideas. "We need a distraction."

"Who has four thumbs and is great at distractions?" Nimona asked rhetorically, her facial expression brightening.

"Fine, but dial it down-" I said, before I could finish, Y/N interrupted me.

"Nice try old man." She said while pulling her hood up. "Nimona can't be dialed down."

"The queen killer!" I heard someone yell, I tensed up immediately, only to see a carbon copy of me kicking trash cans and screaming. "If you see something, slay something!" They said, flicking their cape, well, my cape, dramatically.

"It's Ballister Boldheart!" They yelled into a random person's face, making them run away in fear. "Boo!" They yelled at another, making them scream and follow the other.

"Yeah, I'm evil, and I hate everybody!" They yelled, grabbing a teddy bear from some random kid's hands, making them fall over and cry, I noticed Y/N started to laugh beside me.

"Not as much as I hate myself. Can someone give me a hug?" They said, pulling the hood over their head with a pitiful expression, yeah that's definitely Nimona, not a doppelgänger.

"Did this happen last time you were here?" Y/N whispered, still staring at Nimona throw literal trash cans at people.

"No, there wasn't any knights last time, besides Todd." I answered, staring flabbergasted at the destruction.

"I hate cupcakes!" They said firmly, kicking away a few knights that tried to grab them. "And, I think babies are ugly!" I glared at Nimona, but to be fair, I do think babies are ugly.

They picked up one of the trashcans and started throwing garbage at knights. "Look at this! I'm loitering, and I'm littering." They threw the trash can at a guard, knocking them into a bench.

"I hope you all like freestyle jazz!" They picked up a saxophone and started blasting random stuff. I don't even know where they got it from, I was busy watching myself beat up figures of authority.

They ran up the escalator with knights following behind them. "Hurry up!" One of the knights yelled, "Stop pushing me!" Another snapped. "I'm not pushing you! I'm encouraging you forward!"

The train arrived as I staring at the absolute mess they made. Y/N was right, you can't dial down Nimona.

A pink mouse slid down the escalator and dragged a piece of pizza off the floor. "Our chariot awaits."

A/N
——————————————————

You all are so supportive oh my lord, thank you. <33
Best fandom ever, period. 💪
Here's a lil gift. 😉

951 Words
Stay safe and stay hydrated!