XVII

Y/N's POV
————————————————

I walked cautiously down the long streets of the outer city, trailing behind Ballister with a displeased look expression as my feet dragged across the floor.

I sucked in a breath as I heard footsteps run up behind me. I lazily turned my head to see Nimona following behind us, trying to catch up to Ballister who currently, looked like a grumpy cat.

"Look boss, you got betrayed by someone you trusted," Nimona started, running up to walk beside me. "I get it, it sucks. But we did it. You're innocent, and we have the proof." They said, clearly trying to cheer him up. Though, unsuccessful.

"So, once we upload the video we can-" I tried to say, but Ballister cut me off.

"We're not." He said firmly, not even turning around to look at me. Nimona and I shared a glance before I continued.

"What? Why? We have the truth in my pocket! The people need to know, Blonde needs to know." I argued, emphasizing my words by throwing up my hands.

"Blonde? Who's-" The raven haired man started to say but I just gave him a blank look and cut him off.

"You're husband." I said, rolling my eyes like it was obvious, and crossing my arms.

"He's not my!-" He spun around, trying to defend himself, but I cut him off again.

"Oh yeah, and you have two working arms." I countered, sarcasm lacing my words. Receiving I small snicker from the pinkette beside me.

"Whatever. The point is, we can't show them that video, it could damage people's faith in the institution." He said, adjusting his hood.

"EuGh- nuO dUh." Nimona mocked, raising a brow at Ballister like they were silently saying he was stupid.

"Look, I don't know why she framed me, but the institute's not the problem, the Director is." Ballister said, before pulling his hand out of his cloak and motioning towards me to hand him the phone.

I reached for the phone in my back pocket, only to find it gone. I slowly looked up at Ballister with a nervous laugh.

"Looking for this?" I heard a voice say from behind me, I whipped my head around to see them, taking a cautious step back.

The person stepped forward revealing the Golden knight himself, Ambrosius. He cleared his throat with a look I can't describe on his face as he met eyes with Ballister.

"Nemesis?" Nimona said, tilting her head at the knight in front of us. I elbowed her and shook my head, telling her it wasn't the time.

"Oh Gloreth." The raven haired man said, dropping his arms to his sides. "Listen Ambrosius, I can explain it's the Director's fault I-"

"I know. I heard everything, don't worry." Ambrosius said in a low voice, sighing at Ballister's frantic explanation. From his tone and the disappointed look on his face, he probably feels betrayed too.

"What- why are you here?" Ballister said slowly, cautiously, unsure of his words.

"From what your little pal here's told me," Ambrosius began, gesturing towards me with his free hand, that wasn't holding the phone. "You're innocent, but, I wanted to hear you say it and well, confirm it. But since that's already been confirmed with this," He held up the phone. "I can see she was right."

A security car suddenly sped by, sirens blaring. Ambrosius looked between us and the car, and sighed.

"Look, I don't have much time since I need to get back to the castle. But-" The blonde haired man started to say but Ballister interrupted him.

"You're still with them?!" He said, a little hurt.

"Yes, I am. But from now on, I'll be undercover, alright?" Ambrosius retorted quickly, trying to defend himself.

Ballister visibly relaxed and nodded as Ambrosius handed me the phone in his hand.

I accepted it awkwardly looking beside me to see Nimona with an unreadable expression on her face, staring at Ambrosius as he walked away.

"Are you serious?" Nimona asked, turning to Ballister once Ambrosius was gone. "The dude chopped off you're arm and you're acting all lovey-dovey. Arm chopping is not a love language!" They shouted, karate chopping their arm for exaggeration.

"He didn't cut off my arm, he disarmed a weapon." Ballister said firmly, turning and walking away from the alley. Nimona and I following behind him.

"Wowww- they brainwashed you good." Nimona said, scrunching up her face in shock.

"Why didn't you just drop it?" I muttered, crossing my arms.

"I... adrenaline." Ballister said, his tone unsure but I didn't push further.

"You think this stops the Director?" Nimona piped up from beside me, attempting to change the subject. "You should be questioning everything right now. The will of Gloreth, the institute, the wall." They said, sputtering on the mention of Gloreth, receiving an quizzical look from me.

"What's it all really for?" Nimona said, ignoring the way I was looking at her.

"For protecting the realm." Ballister snapped, finally turning around to look Nimona in the eye.

"Oh you mean from villains like you?" The pinkette countered looking away from his gaze. "Or monsters, like me?"

I walked up from behind Nimona, putting a hand on their shoulder, as an attempt to comfort them. They leaned into me, not turning around, just accepting my embrace.

I watched as Ballister's stern expression instantly turned into regret, looking down at the floor and furrowing his eyebrows.

"Look, if we can prove to the people I'm innocent with the video, then I'm sure they'll accept you too, and things will be better. For both of us." He said after a long pause, smiling comfortingly as he turned around and continued out of the alleyway. I started to follow him, but turned around when I didn't hear footsteps behind me.

Nimona inhaled slowly, looking down at the floor. I noticed their down expression and they weren't following us. I walked up to them and a small smile.

"Look at me," I said quietly, brushing a stray hair out of their face.

Nimona hesitantly complied, their expression softening slightly as they looked up at my face.

"If they don't accept you or if something goes wrong, you'll always have me and I'll be there for you, okay?" I said with a smile.

"Yeah," Nimona said, a small smile breaking across her face too. "Let's go catch up with the boss."

I nodded as we ran after Ballister, who had been around the corner the whole time, listening to our conversation.

A/N
————————————————

Surprise, new chapter. 🤭
I don't know a lot about you guys so I might as well ask some questions 😏🤌

What's your favorite fast food restaurant? —>

1123 Words
Stay safe and stay hydrated!
Feel free to leave a vote