XX

(⚠️This chapter contains hints of suicidal thoughts that may cause readers to feel uncomfortable, if so, please read cautiously or not at all!⚠️)

Ballister's POV
——————————————————

"I know something's wrong." I said with concern in my voice, entering the tower close behind the two in front of me.

"I said I don't wanna talk about it!" Nimona snapped back at me, throwing a glare my direction as they stomped towards the center of the room.

"Hey, I'm just trying to help." I said, confusion clear in my tone as a throw my arms up in a shrug.

"I don't need your help." They yelled back, walking over to the recently dusted, table in from of them. The pinkette hooked their hands underneath the table, flipping it over as the yelped in frustration.

I flinched and backed away from the indignant shapeshifter as the table crashed against the wall.

I looked over to the H/C girl for assistance but they only stared in response, maybe a light shrug but it was hard to tell when they were standing in probably the darkest corner of the room.

"Did you see the way that little girl looked at me?" Nimona spoke up, making me turn my head towards them with a pitiful expression. I immediately regretted raising my voice moments ago.

"Kids. Little kids." They repeated, in disbelief. "They grow up believing that they can be a hero. If they drive a sword into the heart of anything different... and I'm the monster?" Nimona asked rhetorically, turning towards me while pointing at her chest. Their expression pained as they turned back around and hugged their arms to their chest.

Both Y/N and I had stayed quiet, letting the pinkette pour out her thoughts. Y/N seemed reluctant from the expression on her face.

"I don't know what's scarier..." They said slowly, hugging their arms to their chest. "The fact that everyone in this kingdom wants to run a sword through my heart.. or that sometimes. I just wanna let them."

I don't take a second to think as I change the subject, I didn't want to make Nimona feel even more uncomfortable than they already are now by pushing further in on the subject.

"We have to get you out of here." I say hesitantly, looking away from the pinkette and make my way over to the desk computer. "We'll go over the wall. A-and we won't stop till we find some place safe."

"Okay, we'll go. Together." Y/N adds, appearing beside me as I look through different boxes for supplies.

"Together?" Nimona asks quietly, looking up from the floor, my idea of changing the subject might've worked.

"Listen, you were right about everything. The institute, the wall.." I said, trailing off as I pause in what I was doing.

"No matter what we do," I continued after a moment. "We can't change the way people see us." I admit, sighing in defeat.

"You changed the way you see me." Nimona argues in a questioning tone. "Didn't you?" They ask, a small, but noticeable, smirk spreading across her face like butter.