on fiction

You see, the funny thing about fictional characters is that they're fictional. They can be whatever you want them to be, do whatever you want them to do, look however you want them to look.

They can be someone that just sits beside you quietly while the loudest storm rages on in your head. They can kneel in front of you and whisper soft promises filled with sincerity, wiping your tears away with gentle hands.

They can watch you with a playful, challenging grin as you struggle with a problem that's hounded you for ages. They can throw out teasing remarks that spur you on to keep trying, to not give up no matter what.

They can fight for you, eyes crackling with flames and breath hissing with rage. They can stand before you, facing your nightmare head-on with no fear. They can glance back with a warm smile and a promise to protect you forever.

They can lean on your shoulder on a quiet afternoon, reading a book or scrolling through their phone. They can laze on a chair beside you, silently watching you work on your laptop until they grow bored and beg to do something else.

The funniest thing is that you don't even need to write it out, or draw it in a self-indulgent comic. All you need is an overactive imagination and a crippling sense of loneliness.

Maybe that's the best part of it all.