on drunk kisses

The first thing his bewildered mind registered was the sharp smell of alcohol on her breath, assaulting his nose until he barely held back a sneeze.

The second thing he registered was that oh wow, she's really close to me right now.

This was indeed a very accurate description of the predicament he was in right now. She had crowded him against her by slamming both her arms into the wall beside the sides of his head. Not only that, she'd leaned so far in that he had been forced to press himself tightly backwards to maintain a safe distance between them. Her flushed face, framed by loose strands of her long hair, was barely centimetres away from his. Although her pupils were dilated and unfocused, somehow he could tell her eyes were staring straight into his.

He swallowed nervously, and her gaze tracked the bob of his Adam's apple as he did so. He couldn't escape, not without bringing himself closer to her in the process—something that he very much wanted to avoid at the moment. His face felt uncomfortably hot from his proximity to her, and his eyes frantically darted from her burning gaze to her slightly parted lips. Desperately, he tried to avoid thinking of leaning in and closing that small space between them.

As if reading his very thoughts, she pressed closer and slipped one hand from where it had been beside his head to the small of his back. A pleasant buzzing sensation spread slowly from where she had rested it, though it quickly disappeared and was replaced with panic instead when she used her hand to press his body closer until it was flush with hers. She brought her other hand up from the wall beside his head to the side of his face, never breaking eye contact. His heartbeat was racing, thudding a steadily increasing rhythm against his ribcage as she slowly leaned forward until her hot breath tickled his cheek. Distantly, he could feel some part of himself screaming silently as his gaze locked onto her lips which were glistening in the dim light and inching ever closer to his.

Just as his eyelids fluttered shut, something heavy slumped onto him. His eyes snapped open in alarm—only to find that she was fast asleep against his shoulder and snoring.

He paused, frozen against the wall with her asleep face-first on his shoulder, contemplating all of his life choices leading up to this exact moment. Then, he buried his face into his left hand—his right was currently rendered immobile due to her sleeping on his right shoulder—and let out a muffled scream.