fun with quotes

in which I asked my friends to give me a random quote and I wrote something based on that

can you tell how bored I was

___________________

"Life is full of struggles, but while you're at it have fun."

She slumped on her table as soon as the lunch bell rang, pouting as she stretched her arms.

"What stepped on your tail today?" Sam snickered, dragging her chair over to her table and sitting down uninvited.

"What else?" Her reply was short and clipped as if irritated, but her glittering eyes betrayed her happiness now that Sam had joined her.

"Well, I suppose there isn't another short-haired, glasses-wearing, coffee-loving, geography-obsessed girl that you've decided to move on to," Sam teased, skilfully dodging the light punch that the first girl directed at her.

"Shh!" she hissed, looking about nervously. "What if she hears?"

The target of their conversation, contrary to her paranoia, had buried her mess of brown curls into her crossed arms and was currently fast asleep on her table. A quiet noise sounded from the back of her throat, and she shifted slightly so that her cheek was squished against the side of her arm.

The girl completely flushed red at the sight, and slammed her head onto the table with a frustrated groan. "I'm so down bad, Sam, help me..." she whined as she lifted her teary eyes.

"Nah man, you're just a simp. Shouldn't you be worrying about failing physics instead?" Sam playfully asked, poking her red forehead.

"Hey, life is full of struggles, but while you're at it have fun, right?"

"...I don't think that applies in this situation."

___________________

"I tried 99 times, but on the 100th time I succeeded."

The air crackled with electricity and heat, hanging heavily over his head. The vague smell of ash clung to his nose, mingling with the cloying taste of death on his tongue. He stared emotionlessly at the wasteland around him, seemingly unbothered despite his shaking hands and hard eyes.

He didn't scream or cry or laugh or collapse. The countless loops before this one had exhausted his entire range of emotions.

He just felt dead.

Dead like the rotting creatures that lay lifeless around him, like the weeping trees long deprived of their lush jade, like the decomposing planet he stood on.

What's the point of it all? whispered a tiny voice in his head. You fail, and fail, and fail, over and over. You're pathetic.

He ignored it.

The bottle that he had been clutching in his hand flickered dimly, the faint purple light it exuded casting a foreboding shadow on the ground that was black from rot and ash. Almost wearily, he raised it and shook it, once. As hard as possible.

The amethyst light grew brighter, intensifying until he was forced to close his eyes against it. Finally, when it seemed like the light would swallow the silent universe, he vanished along with it.

After the dust he stirred up had settled, the world left in his wake became truly dead.

Suddenly, a tiny green speck appeared in the middle of the black and brown. It stood stark against the dull background, adamant against the destruction around it.

The emerald slowly bloomed outwards, from a speck to the size of a fist, then the size of a kidney, then a lung, then a human, spreading over the dark, tainted soil and replacing it with flourishing grass.