on sitting by the ocean

I sit by the ocean and let the waves replace my thoughts.

The edges of the waves crash into the rocks as flutters of silk-white foam, the water draining into small hollowed-out holes along the wall before drawing back in an endless cycle.

The sound of it is something words fail to describe. The flow and ebb of the ocean, a calming song that wavers with the strength of every roiling wave travelling through the water to eventually, without fail, hit the wall and disappear. It swirls in echoes that appear to be of the same liquid-reminiscent sound, yet is altered randomly every time from the slightest change in angle or wind speed.

I watch and listen, drowning in the sound. I set my thoughts free into the water before me, the panic and anxiety and fear and anger and hatred and disgust. In return I am gifted the sea with which I fill my head. My mind is an endless ocean, and all that exist in it are waves crashing, crashing, crashing against the inside of my skull.

I close my eyes and the sun shines down on me, my senses tuned in to the repetitive sound of waves crashing forward and draining back, crashing and draining, crashing and draining. Peace darts around my ankles like tiny, silver-scaled fish, small glints of light that I gaze at but don't dare to reach out and catch.

The waves are in my head, the sunshine on my skin, and I am finally at peace.