|24| b a r b e q u e

I took the seat next to Patrick and made myself as comfortable as I could, even if the fact that my other crush is seated just right next to me is making me a little ditsy . Enjoy the feeling Anna, enjoy.

With one final release of a huge breath, I grinned and enjoyed the sound of Vincent's brand new Everest roaring to life and Lily and Kayla's bantering, on who would take the shotgun seat.

This is it. I finally decided to let go of my confusing and frustrating thoughts and just enjoy the moment. The moment when I learn how to let my heart feel freely, when I try to be more me, without the restrictions and chains that grips my neck. This time, I want to stop thinking.

I'm gonna live as if I am writing. No restrictions, no judgements, no wrong. Just freedom.

"I wonder what kind of family Austin has," Patrick suddenly mumbled beside me, causing me snap my head up to meet his bright blue eyes.

The memory of how Austin told me the kind of family he has when we were at Hill of Orion, made a small, nostalgic smile appear on my lips. "He told me he has a ten-year old brother, a nurse for a mom and a dad who's an architect."

"Hmm. You must be close. He don't seem the type to share info's about his life." Patrick nodded thoughtfully, smiling down at me.

Shrugging nonchalantly, I leaned myself on the leather seat of Vincent's car, feeling its cool and smooth texture against my bare shoulders. "I dunno. Maybe? I guess?"

"You're not sure?" He asked skeptically, his eyes slowly roaming over my face in search of something I don't know.

"Yeah... I mean, as you can see Austin isn't the most understandable person. He's just so...complicated," I drawled out, playing with the hem of my floral dress and slightly pulling at the loose threads.

He chuckled, making crinkles appear by the corners of his eyes as he dipped his head back a little. "Yeah. I get what you mean. He was my partner in Chemistry last year."

"Oh?" Both of my eyebrows shot up at this little piece of information. I leaned back a little to look at him surprisingly.

"Yeah. He doesn't like to smile."

I chuckled at his true statement, shaking my head a little and smirking up at him. "You got that right."

Silence came, with only the roar of the engine, the faint sound of the radio and Kayla and Lily's phone-tapping - filling the space. But even though silence wrapped the five of us... It was still comfortable, familiar... and I love it that way.

"Hey A." Patrick softly poked my waist making me look up to throw him a playful glare.

"Yes Mr. Poke?"

Both of his eyebrows shot up. Obviously amused by my talent in making nicknames(or maybe he thinks I suck). I can't blame him though, it's my best suit - or I'd like to believe. "Mr. Poke?" He asked dryly but the way his eyes shined bright with amusement and his lips slightly twitch upwards, totally gave his act away.

Besides, he's Patrick. That's enough to know he's not mad.

"Yup! Mr. Poke." I confirmed, nodding my head keenly as I smiled brightly at him.

His amused smile slowly changed into a serious smile. The one that has no eyebrows arched up, no crinkles by the corner of his eyes. Just a small smile playing on his lips that tells me, he has something to say. "Anna."

My heart drummed harder. It has been a long time since I heard him call me Anna. Though it wasn't forever and he doesn't just use 'Anna' when he's mad, it still felt foreign to my ears.