~ XXII ~

Same height and weight.

Same curves and same colored hair, but the rest of her body is completely covered, and her dress is fluffy hiding her curves.

I can't tell if it's really my girl or not.

I really feel like it's not.

Something is telling me that this is a setup. But, by who?

My father wouldn't allow Legend to step foot inside without face to face interaction with the item to the prize. Layla, or Azrael Shero, is the reason my fathers birthday is three times the amount of the usual meetings. The word got out that Layla was attending tonight, and everyone wanted a change to meet the beautiful Azrael Shero. My beautiful angel is a pawn in a game. A game was all playing, but I can't seem to figure out what part I have in this.

I've spent the past few hours falling into a deep depression as my mind plays small imaginary tapes of things that aren't true, but they weigh so heavy that I can't help but question them.

Legend worked with Taju, Layla's ex boyfriend that abused her, and she ran from so. Legend had to meet Taju over the course of months that they dated. Someone who doesn't exist but is as 'powerful' as me. Layla didn't have a single picture on her phone or on the internet of them together. What is he hiding that has to leave no trail of any sorts?

Benjis brother is looking for people who resemble Taju while we're here. Whoever Taju is now isn't someone who was real before.

It doesn't surprise me that Legend was involved, but he knew he wouldn't have been able to give up everything for a girl who but he knew he wouldn't have been able to give up everything for a girl who wouldn't ever agree to it. Who wouldn't never be able to commit to him and be exclusively his. Layla couldn't be bought. She was mine, and he wouldn't ever be able to change that. Neither would Taju.

Or could they?

The disattachment that Layla had gave me mixed emotions since the beginning, but I thought it was because she didn't trust me yet, maybe nerves from the plan we had in motion.

It could have even been because she truly wanted the money and an escape.

"What's the plan?" Royal whispers as we sit down at our assigned seats at the dinner table on the opposite side of where Legend is, but still alligned with my fathers table. I don't turn to her, I keep my eyes on the women that are attached to Legend.

"There isn't one. After dinner, we're having the switch." I tell her as I look at the woman beside me who's hidden better than Layla is. Aside from not being able to see any facial feature, her dress is fluffy and round, hiding the size of her body and seven inch heels, making her taller than me.

The wives, or dates, aren't allowed to show off their face or bodies. It's more of a precaution than a rule. I've never been more thankful for it until today as I look at the woman beside me. My dear, beautiful mother came with me as support and leverage against my father. After explaining our situation, she quickly agreed and came home immediately to assist me tonight. Royal, Benji, and Avery came with me with CIA disguised as their dates, a little present from Brawler who has a sniper, unwillingly, on top of the roof of the building across the street.

My fathers eyes linger on the woman beside me, and I stare at him without any emotions. I give him a nod, and I watch the fire grow in his eyes. 'Try me', I thought. Attempt to hurt my mother or wife tonight, and death will wait forever. My father quickly nods before grabbing the microphone. "Thank you all for coming out tonight to celebrate not just my birthday but my celebration of the end of a tumultuous chapter in my life. Or I guess the end of the book," he announces with a smile that fails to reach his eyes. The room erupts into applause, oblivious to the unspoken tension between us. Between all of us and our dates.