CH-5 The 'Boring' Math Class

The default ringtone was still playing when we were looking at each other surprised, still wondering if Mrs. Orchids was going to call one of the students. I wished that the student just so happens to be that bully Marcus. The whole class went silent when suddenly we heard an unfamiliar voice. "The heir of Mr. Kai Williams is requested to come to principal's office to save their honorable principal from me.... you have 5 minutes to make a decision between your principal's life and yourself " and a chuckle which lacked empathy. It was a deep voice and determined on his choice... I couldn't get over his tone when he said this.

The whole class turned towards me with judgmental eyes. I was supposed to take a decision, I started sweating and became involuntary to all the feelings and I was sitting still. I really didn't understand the motive of those hijackers. What will they do to us? Is Ms. Tomboy all right? Did they already take her? Are they calling us to hold hostages? Dan started shaking me to zone back in.

"I don't think Mrs. Orchids is in trouble and besides she will handle herself she is the head of this school, right?" He tried consoling me by holding me, while I was on the brink of tears and confusion, with his sweaty palms. I knew he was in great distress because it had become apparent by the sweat drops all over him and his breaking tone". Maybe they're calling us to call dad?" I said in a faint voice, it was not audible to Dan. It would have been better if this boring Math class would've just remained a math class.

Then suddenly someone stood up from their seat and started to walk towards my seat. I was way too anxious to notice the face. But then when that student approached, I noticed them. It was Ece, the principal's daughter, her lips and her long fingers were violently trembling with fear.

"Ken, look I think you should go. I don't think they hold any personal grudges; they won't do anything to a kid...but I can't say the same about mum. I am begging you...p-please save my mom". Tears rolled down her as she stood there holding her hands together and pleading. But I couldn't respond. I just pulled her hands down and gave her a nod.

"Are you stupid? ... That's just a trap to lure you by blackmailing you in the name of principal ma'am...plus ma'am can protect herself. You won't be able to. Ken, come to your senses". Dan frantically shouted at me. Just then Ms. Tomboy entered the room and rushed toward me as I was standing in front of the class. I was relieved that she hadn't surrendered yet.

"Ken!" she shouted under breath while sobbing and hugged me tight. I didn't hug her back. I don't think it's time for that.

"Ms. Williams, I don't think it is safe for you to wander around the school especially at this time." Our math teacher finally spoke up, finally realizing the gravity of this situation.

"What should we do now, Ken". she asked while having an utterly confused look, completely ignoring the Math teacher.

"None of you are going to fall right into their hands. I will not allow this". Dan sternly ordered before I could answer.

"But ma'am can be in danger we will have to surrender...... I will have to. I have no power to reject this deal". I said in a determined voice.

Just then, the intercom played the default tune, and my stomach began to churn, and my heart skipped a beat.

"Well, you took way too long to make a simple decision, Williams.... Now is the time for the deal I did." The person on the intercom said and the next thing he did was truly unhinged. He shot a bullet. Its sound echoed in the hallways. The intercom went silent.

Ece, who was standing before, dropped down on the ground with shock and disbelief and wept constantly. She then stood up, held me by my collar and started yelling, "I told you to surrender... I begged you." She said and cussed me in all languages she knew. She started shaking me and yelling, "You killed my mum" repeatedly "You only care about yourself not others even if they're dying for you." she said while crying and slowly broke down on the floor sliding her hands on my collar which brought me down while Dan tried to console my sister who was crying, hiding her behind himself, protecting her from the violent attacks of Ece.