Chapter 03: Lover Boy

AHVI TAKEDA

"Lover boy dropped you off?" Eman wiggled her brown eyebrows at me, a mischievous smile lighting up her face. She dapped at the corners of her lips with a napkin as she finished eating her sandwich.

"No, Jace dropped me off." I made a face at her choice of words.

"It's the same thing, Vi." She tossed the napkin into the trash bin a few feet away from our table, satisfied when it dropped right in.

"It's not. He had to drop me off because you were a lazy ass." I pointed out, eyeing my burger with disdain. I had bought it but it tasted like sandpaper. The cafeteria usually didn't give out cardboard for food but today was an exception.

"Astagfirullah, Vi." Eman's hazel eyes widened in mock horror. "It's unbecoming to curse." She added, adjusting one end of her hijab. I rolled my eyes at her, throwing a piece of fries from my plate at her. She caught it with one hand and popped it in her mouth, chewing smugly.

"Ass." I repeated and she burst out laughing, the sound making me smile. Eman and Ren were the only two people in my life who made me want to smile, made me want to let go of my guilt and my past.

"Anyway, are you coming to the house today? Nikhat is freaking out about the wedding and I don't have it in me to deal with her on my own," She said, sobering up. Reaching for her Diet Coke, she took a sip and I nodded.

"I have an order to get to a client and then I will be at your house. I will need Ren to drive me so I can't tell you when I will be there." I replied.

"Ask Jace." Eman didn't miss a beat and I narrowed my gaze at her.

"I am sure he has better things to do than drop his best friend's sister off at her friend's house." I retorted.

"Bestie, you know Jace will come to pick and drop you anytime you ask him to. Stop being a pain in my backside and ask him. I'll go crazy if I have to deal with Nikhat alone." My best friend groaned. Nikhat was Eman's older sister who was supposed to get married in a couple of weeks. The preparations had started already and the bride was freaking out over every little detail. Trust me, I had witnessed the craziness firsthand.

That was why I didn't argue with Eman and instead told her that I would see what I could do. I took another bite of my burger and grimaced. Deciding that I didn't want to put myself through this torture anymore, I picked it up and walked over to the trash to dump it in.

"Don't waste food, Vi." Eman scolded me but I just made a face at her.

"It sucks. Even stray dogs wouldn't eat it." I responded, walking back to the table and gathering my things. "I have two more classes before Ren will send someone to pick me up. I will get to yours as soon as I can." I added, giving my best friend a side hug before hurrying toward my class. Two more classes, one order, and a family meeting later, I could go to bed.

>.<

The professor dismissed the class and I jolted in my seat. I straightened to find that everyone else was packing up. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and checked the time. It was almost three in the afternoon. The last class of the day was finally over and I could go home and relax a little. As I gathered my things, I dialed Ren.

"Yes, kiddo?" My brother answered, sounding distracted. Anytime I called him at work, he always sounded the same as if there were so many things on his mind that he couldn't decide what he wanted to give his attention to first.

"Are you going to pick me up?" I asked as I walked out of the lecture hall, dodging students who chattered amongst themselves.

"No but I have sent Jace to your uni already. He will drop you off at the apartment." Ren replied. "Kiddo, I have an important meeting. I will see you at home. Remember to eat. I made a little snack for you. It's in the refrigerator." He added before hanging up.

I shook my head as warmth spread through my chest. Despite not having anybody take care of him all through childhood, Ren never failed to take care of me. Our mother wasn't the most caring parent in the world. I doubted after a point she even remembered that she had two kids who needed her time and attention. But Ren had never made me feel unloved, never made me feel the lack of a loving presence by our sides.

When he moved to London, I was heartbroken. And then everything else had gone to hell and I was left alone. But even then, he would call everyday to check up on me even though he didn't know of all that had happened in the years he had been at university.

"Bestie, there you are." Eman walked up to my side as I exited the school building. I glanced at her and smiled which earned me a hug from her. "Have I ever told you how pretty you look when you smile? Or how much I love you?" She asked and I shook my head at her.

"Yes, Eman, you have." I replied. Eman Hashim was the most cheerful, enthusiastic, kind-hearted, and supportive person I had ever met. Born and raised in London with immigrant parents, she was a city girl through and through but her values were what distinguished her from the crowd.

Belonging to a Muslim family, Eman was a woman who valued her religion and family above all else. She prayed five times a day, didn't drink or smoke, and never cursed. She was always dressed in the most flattering abayas I had ever laid my eyes on and her hijab was on point. Well, on most days, they were on point. As sweet as she was, one wouldn't want to see Eman on a bad hijab day.

Her love language were words of affirmation and physical touch. And she was the only one whom I didn't mind touching me. She was peace embodied and I was grateful everyday to have found her in London. After the craziness of my teenage years, I needed someone like Eman. Someone who didn't pressure me into things. Someone who respected my boundaries. Someone who was there for me but didn't pry.

A gasp from Eman pulled me out of my thoughts. "What?" I asked, looking at her slackened jaw. Her expression morphed into one of mischief and somehow, before she even opened her mouth, I knew what she had seen. Or rather who.

"Hello Jace!" My best friend grinned as she pulled me after her toward Jace's Rover.

"Eman! My favorite woman!" Jace returned her smile and I rolled my eyes. Sucker.

"How have you been?" My best friend, the traitor, walked up to the driver's side window as she engaged him in conversation. I climbed into the passenger seat, shooting daggers at Eman who dutifully ignored me.

"If you need me for anything, I'm only one call away." Jace was saying and I mimicked him, gaining Eman's attention. Her face turned red from the effort of keeping her laughter in.

"Of course. Thank you so much for offering." She swallowed as she spoke, humor shining in her eyes. "All of you guys are invited to the wedding and all the functions, alright? I don't want to hear any excuses." She added.

"Yes ma'am." Jace nodded.

"Can we go now? Eman, if you don't let us go now, how am I supposed to be at your house this evening?" I interrupted their merry conversation, getting impatient.

"Is she always like this?" Jace asked Eman in a whisper, jabbing a thumb at me.

"She's tolerable only." Eman waved me off and I scowled at her. "Oh, by the way, can you drop Ahvi off at my house this evening? I told her to ask you but I know she won't so I took it upon myself to do it." She took a step away from the car, gaze flickering over to me in silent apology. Too late, Hashim. Too late.

"Of course, I will." Jace shot me an amused look and I turned to look out of the windshield, deciding to ignore the two. I tuned them out, not even looking at Eman when she said her goodbyes, stepping away from the car. I loved her but her obsession with Jace and me got on my nerves.

"When do you want me to pick you up?" Jace asked as he pulled out of the uni parking lot. I huffed out an answer as I crossed my arms over my chest and slumped into my seat. On the way back to the apartment, I plotted my revenge against the traitor whom I called my best friend.