Chapter 28: A Secret Crush

JACE HYDE

The venue was more lavishly decorated than the Hashims' house was. The guests were already mingling about when we arrived. The color theme was similar to the ones I had seen in Christian weddings but somehow more extravagant. Or maybe it was the lavish, stunning outfits that the guests wore.

I felt out of place in my tux and wondered if I should have taken Tariq's advice and worn a kurta, too. I looked at Kiara who walked by my side, beautiful in her gala gown. She was pretty, there was no denying it. But she was not the kind of pretty to me that had me losing my breath.

My gaze strayed away from her to Ahvi who was walking side-by-side with Ren. She was talking to him, smiling faintly. I was glad that they were back on talking terms but still an ache pierced my heart at the sight of her. She had in fact taken my breath away when she walked out of the house dressed like a fucking princess. I had never loved Eman more for befriending Ahvi and forcing her to wear their traditional clothing.

The arrangements tonight didn't involve the men and women to be separate because it would have required a lot more money than Mr. Hashim had paid already. The old man had not been pleased but had given in after much convincing from his daughter, the bride.

Nikhat and her husband, Asraf, sat on a long, cream couch on the stage decorated with white and gold roses. The rest of the venue was covered in the flowers too with snack tables scattered around the hall. There was a booth of drinks in a corner which served non-alcoholic drinks which made me sad quite frankly but I could manage.

"I am so glad you decided to bring me with you," Kiara said, leaning into me, her elbow linked with mine.

"Nikhat insisted." I responded, feeling my stomach twist at her words. I glanced down at her belly which was still not showing any signs of pregnancy. It had been a month since Kiara had conceived but I couldn't see any physical symptoms of her pregnancy. I knew I wouldn't see any until much later into the pregnancy.

"Still. You could have turned her down. I am happy you are finally accepting me and our baby." She went on. I didn't know if she didn't see how unsettled I got every time she spoke to me as if everything was alright between us. Despite living together, both of us were aware of the slight awkwardness that was present between us at all times. Was this how soulmates were supposed to be?

I gently removed my arm from hers and stepped away. "Can I get you something to drink?" I smiled at her.

"Yes, I am getting thirsty and tired." She put a hand on her belly. Instantly, I felt the need to make her comfortable, kicking in as if that baby in her belly held a control over me that I knew nothing about.

"Come on, let's get you seated first then." I felt guilty for wanting to get away from her and to compensate, I put a hand on her lower back, guiding her toward the chairs lined up in front of the stage.

I sat her down in one corner so that I could reach her easily. "I will get you something to drink." I patted her cheek and walked away from her, cursing myself out for once again, getting caught up in all of my contrasting emotions and doubt.

I headed toward the drink booth when Tariq joined me, easily falling into step beside me. "You take good care of her," He said or rather observed, shooting a glance over his shoulder. I nodded my head, making myself shrug indifferently.

"She is my girlfriend and the mother of my child. Of course, I take good care of her." I didn't know how I felt about his observation. I should have felt offended but all I could do was try to hide how I didn't want to be playing this role at all.

"Are you happy with her, Jace?" Tariq asked and I felt my steps faltering. The bastard knew exactly which nerve to hit and at times, I wanted to punch him in the face for it.