Chapter 53: A Set-Up

AHVI TAKEDA

Silence was heavy between us. I couldn't find words to end it. I could say nothing but sorry but it would never be enough. Perhaps Hailey would forgive me, but I would always know. I had let my friend down and I would always carry the burden of the sin.

"You once said that things turned out exactly how they were supposed to be. And it is going to take some time but I am going to try and come to terms with every thing that happened." Hailey spoke up, breaking the spell.

"I should have called you." I answered. I hadn't meant to say it but the words tumbled out the moment I opened my mouth as if they had been waiting for me, right on the tip of my tongue.

"But maybe then we wouldn't be here. Together." She smiled. This time, it was not a regretful one, or one of longing for a time that had both caused her pain and joy. It was a smile that said that she was glad she was here right now.

"Maybe." I forced one on my face. We stared at each other for a moment, understanding and comfort passing between us. The slamming of a car door had me looking away. My eyes widened slightly as I grabbed the binoculars and looked out the window.

Hailey had sprung into action on her couch too. My breath caught in my throat as I looked at the house across the street. A man had just stepped out of the car and was walking into the house. I couldn't see his face; his back was turned to me. He wore a brown business suit and his black hair was twisted into dread locks, which covered the side profile when he glanced to his left. I didn't recognize him. He didn't seem to belong here. His clothes were much too lavish to belong to someone from New Mulliton.

But yet, a memory nagged at my brain, demanding attention. I couldn't access it though so I pushed the feeling away.

"Vi, that's my boss." Hailey's said, her voice quiet. If it hadn't been for the silence of the living room, I wouldn't have heard her.

"What?" I frowned as I watched the man disappear inside the house. The door shut behind him and I straightened, letting the binoculars in my lap. "What is your boss doing at the base?" I asked as I looked at her. Should we call the Sheriff?

"I-I don't know." Confusion lined her expression as she looked at the window again. She pulled her lips between her teeth as she got off the couch. "We should tell Sheriff. He said to report any unusual movement and this is definitely unusual."

"But it could also be nothing. What if Polo wanted to buy something from him?" I asked. I didn't know why I was so reluctant to call the cops now. I was here for revenge, for closure, right? If it wasn't Hailey who called the cops on us that night, it only meant that someone from the base did. Polo set us up. I had reached the conclusion a few days ago when I had sat stewing in my worries and anger.

"We don't deal with criminals, Vi." Hailey shot me a look that made me feel a little sheepish and defensive.

"What if we check what is going on ourselves and then call the police? You can call your Boss and ask him where he is?" Even as I said it, I knew how suspicious it must sound. Hailey put her hands on her waist, an impatient look entering her eyes as she turned to face me.

"What is it, Ahvi?" She asked, her gaze gentle and stern at the same times.

"Nothing. I just want to make sure that we don't bother the cops without reason." I shrugged indifferently as I climbed off the chair and walked to the middle of the room.

"You are scared to call the cops on Polo. You are scared to do what happened to you guys all those years ago." She observed, her words plain and to the point. I hated her for getting it right on the first try.