Chapter 42: Plot Twist

JACE HYDE

"I know you can. You're Harley Quinn after all." I chuckled and to my surprise, Ahvi cracked a smile. "But I still want to be there for you." I added, making her look at me from underneath her lashes.

She didn't push me away. She didn't deny the attraction, the tension. Her breathing was ragged and she made no move to pull away from me. If I tilted my head slightly, I would kiss her. Oh, how badly I wanted to do just that but I knew I needed to break up Kiara.

"We should go," She said instead of telling me that she would like it, too, for me to take care of her. But I knew Ahvi, she wouldn't admit her feelings until she wanted to and I was willing to wait.

"Yes, we should." I agreed. I couldn't wait to get back to the house now. I had a girlfriend to kick out after all. Reluctantly, I pulled away from her, letting go. She inhaled deeply as I stepped away as if she could only now breathe again. Her skin was flushed and she didn't look at me as I handed her the helmet.

I had crossed a line today. I couldn't take it back now. And as scary as it was, I felt better. Much better. And I was going to find her later. I was going to go to her. Because she had asked me to come.

>.<

Kiara was home when I parked into the driveway beside her car. I walked up the front steps of the house, my heart in my mouth. I didn't know how I was going to break up with her. I just knew I had to. I pulled my house key out of my pocket and walked inside.

The first thing that greeted me when I stepped into the house was the silence. You know the silence which is too loud, which rings in your ear? Yes, that was how it felt when I entered my house. There had never been this strange quietness here.

I frowned, putting my helmet on the couch in the living room before making my way up the stairs to my room. I wondered if Kiara wasn't at home unlike how I had initially thought. Maybe she had gone with her friends since her car was parked outside.

Shrugging, I tried to shake off some of the unease that had crept on me in the past few minutes. The strange atmosphere of the house could be explained by my mood. I was not especially cheerful even though I was happy to finally get out of this relationship.

When I reached the bedroom door, I paused. Something was wrong. Goosebumps scattered on my skin and I swallowed. The chilled atmosphere was not because of my mood, my instinct told me. Something else had happened.

I pushed the bedroom door open after taking a moment to collect myself. My feet froze on the threshold and my phone slipped from my hand as my gaze settled on my bed.

Kiara was sprawled on the mattress, her right hand dangling from the edge of the bed. Her hair was fanned out underneath her, some strands sticking to her face. But it was not her sleeping figure that chilled the blood in my veins. It was the bottle of pills that was tipped over on the nightstand and the white foam seeping out of the corner of my girlfriend's mouth.

My phone beeped with a notification, jolting me out of my trance. My legs propelled forward and then I was walking up to the bed, my entire being shaking.

"Kiara?" I called her name even though, deep down, I knew she would not answer. I tried to shake her shoulder but she didn't budge. I cupped her face in my hand and tried to jolt her awake but it didn't work either. My heart started pounding in my chest, a wild rhythm that I had not heard before.

"Kiara. Wake up." I called but she didn't open her eyes. Gingerly, I reached for her hand and checked her pulse. I didn't find any.

Kiara was not sleeping. She was dead.