Chapter 35: Like Old Times

AHVI TAKEDA

My room was empty when I woke up. Like it was supposed to be. I didn't know why I felt as if there should have been someone waiting for me then. The sunlight seeping through the crack of my curtains greeted me when I opened my eyes.

I swallowed as I looked around the room, at the artwork lining the wall beside the bathroom and my desk which was laid with my journal that I had opened last night to do my nightly redemption ritual. Note the sarcasm.

My comforter fell off my body, pooling on my lap as I sat up, the feeling that someone was in my room creeping on me once again. I didn't know if it was a dream that lingered or if someone had actually been here last night but a shiver ran down my spine. I would have brushed the feeling right off if it hadn't been for the fact that I might have a stalker.

I rubbed my face, discarding the borderline disturbing thoughts. Well, it was totally disturbing. Closing my eyes, I inhaled deeply, letting the morning air cleanse the lingering sleep. As I got off my bed and went through my morning routine as if set on autopilot, I couldn't help but think about my upcoming trip.

I had cleared all obstacles. Ren was no longer a problem. Eman was onboard. And Jace...Jace was not exactly cooperating but he didn't exactly matter, did he? Who was I kidding? Of course, he mattered. He was the only thing that had mattered to me for the past few years. He had left New Mulliton but he had left behind his memories, a decade worth of them.

My phone buzzed as I walked out of my bathroom, having showered and dressed into my outfit for the day: an off-shoulder black shirt and a pair of baggy jeans because they were my favorite pair and I could wear them. I picked my phone from where it lay on my nightstand and answered the call which was from...? Yes, you guessed it right. Eman Hashim.

"Bestie, I don't have classes today, so I won't be coming to uni. Do you want me to drop you off though?" She asked as soon as I greeted her.

"No, of course not. Ren will drop me off." I answered.

"Alright. I'm going to be a little busy today so I won't be able to go shopping with you either." I could almost see her pout on the other end of the line. "Nikhat and Asraf are coming over. They're going to be all over each other. I don't want to be there to witness it but Baba will kick me out if I don't stay my butt home." She added and one could hear the disgust dripping from her words.

"Ouch. That does sound like torture." I made a face as I walked to my dresser and ran a brush through my hair. I looked at the fading green dye and decided to pick up a box of dye on my way home. I think I would go for pink this time or maybe a deep blue. "I am glad that Ren doesn't bring his women home. I would have jumped from the balcony, I swear." I shudder at the thought of my brother mooning over a woman.

"I know right. You're lucky." Eman grumbled her response. "I'm lucky, too, but it would have been better if I didn't have a sister who was married now. It gave me a minor heart attack when Asraf kissed Nikhat on the cheek in front of the whole family. I wanted to dissolve into a puddle and disappear."

I let out a chuckle as I untangled my hair, letting it fall over my shoulders. "I would have rescued you if I could but honestly, I am a bit scared of your Baba myself." I replied.

"I know." Eman sighed. "I am excited to meet my sister but I just don't like how she acts with her husband. It gives me the ick."

"I can't relate but I am pretty sure I would if Ren was in a relationship," I said in an attempt to make her feel less alone in her torture."

"It's alright. I will survive. Hopefully." My best friend consoled.

"We can go shopping tomorrow though. Then I will get a headstart on the packing." I suggested. I still had thirteen days till I needed to leave but I wanted to get the packing out of the way because I was scared that I would back out if I didn't.