Chapter 20: Beg For It

JACE HYDE

I tapped my fingers against the railing as I waited for Ahvi to show up. The sounds of the men talking and laughing traveled up to the roof and I leaned over the railing slightly to look at what was going on downstairs. I had been terribly bored down there with nothing to do so I had decided to take the stairs at the back of the house to the roof.

It didn't help that Eman had a lot of cousins. I mean a lot. And they were quite boring, talking about either their studies or where they were going after they were done with school.

I heard heels clicking behind me and straightened. I glanced over my shoulder to see who it was and...paused. Ahvi walked toward me, glancing over her shoulder as if she was scared that someone was following her. But that was not the reason for my gawking. It was how she looked.

She wore a long, gold kurta and what looked like a close relative of leggings. A scarf was pinned to her shoulder, spilling down her arms and she wore gold and white earrings in her ears. Her hair was pinned away from her face, two strands falling into it which she pushed away from her eyes as she continued walking toward me.

I could have sworn that time slowed down when her eyes met mine. I could have sworn that her eyes swept over my frame as she checked me out before settling on my face again. I could have sworn I felt the air electrify between us.

She closed the distance between us and I cleared my throat which had gone very, very dry all of a sudden. "I wasn't expecting you guys to follow the dress code," She said as her gaze dropped to my attire once more. Tariq had not been wrong when he had said that he could get us all kurtas and pajamas. And between us, it didn't look half bad.

"We are not complete morons, you know." I replied, leaning against the railing. "And moreover, I look good." I tugged on my sleeve which was folded to my elbow.

"I was going to compliment you but now I won't." Ahvi gave me a flat look as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why not?" I asked. Disappointment curdled in my gut and I wanted to slap myself.

"Since you already know that you look good, there is no need for anyone else to say it." She pointed out, a smirk making its way onto her face.

"But I want to hear you say it." I responded, pushing away from the railing.

"I don't want to be the one stroking your ego, Hyde." She shook her head, taking a step away from me. I gave her my best puppy eyes, making a move toward her.

"Come on, Harley." I pleaded but she just shook her head again. A giggle escaped her lips and my heart began to race. The breath was knocked from my lungs and I felt as if I had run a whole mile. "Do you want me to beg?" I asked, my voice quieter than before.

She glanced at me from under her lashes, a spark entering her eyes. For the two weeks I had been avoiding her, I had promised myself to not act like a fool when I saw her again. But all those warnings, all those promises flew right out of my head at the look on her face. She looked...alive. And so devastatingly beautiful that it hurt my very soul.

"Do it." She challenged, her voice dripping with laughter. I felt a grin tugging on my own lips as I advanced a few steps toward her.

"Harley, now you're just being mean." I pretended to pout and she giggled again. The sound filled me up, washing over every bit of misery I had experienced these past weeks.

"You put the idea in my head, didn't you?" She wiggled her eyebrows. "Beg and I will give you what you want." She added.

"You think you're so smart, don't you?" I narrowed my eyes on her, a smile on my lips. She backed away as I stepped closer to her.