Chapter 48: Taking Things Slow

JACE HYDE

I saw the moment it happened, the moment Ahvi got into her own head. Her expression changed and morphed into one that scared me. It was a slight dip of her lips, the smile gone from her eyes. She was overthinking this.

"You didn't answer," I nudged her. A desperate feeling clawed at my chest, at the look on her face. Her mind had gone somewhere else, somewhere this was a mistake and I wasn't the guy she wanted to be with.

"Maybe we should take things slow. Like you said." She responded a moment later. Even without her saying so, I knew she had pulled all her defenses up. "I should get going. Hailey and I are supposed to meet Sheriff today." She added, wiggling a little.

I let her go, climbing off her. My heart had dropped to my stomach and I no longer felt the glow in my heart that I had all morning, ever since I woke up and saw her sitting beside me in bed. Last night only intensified my feelings for Ahvi and if she didn't feel the same way-

"Do you regret it?" I blurted out before I could stop myself, stopping Ahvi in her tracks. She didn't turn around, the blanket once again wrapped around her body to hide it from me. But it was of no use. Every inch of her was burned into my memory. I doubted I would be able to erase it even if I tried to.

"No." She replied and the knot in my chest gave way but only slightly. I could still feel a chord around my heart and the end of the chord was in Ahvi's hand. She could push and pull it whichever way she liked. She could gut me and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I was falling in love with her deeper every day and as much as it scared me, it also set me free.

I was no longer in denial. So, I let her go. She walked into the bathroom and I heard the door close behind her. I would have followed her. I know I wanted to but I stayed put.

Ahvi would shut me out completely if I pushed too hard. I couldn't do that. So, I changed into a fresh outfit and waited for her to get ready. I wasn't going to let her be on her own. I didn't know much about her past, but I knew she was in danger and although I had learned she knew how to take good care of herself, the proof still blooming on my chest as a bruise, I wanted to be by her side. She was my girl. I would protect her.

>.<

"Come on. Let him come with us. He can take care of himself." Hailey pleaded with Ahvi.

"Yes, I can." I butted in.

"No, he can't." Ahvi didn't even look at me. Her eyes were fixed on her friend. She was shaking her head, her annoyance blasting off of her in waves.

"Yes, I can." I insisted. She whirled around to look at me, her brown eyes narrowing.

"Who told you that you could speak?" She asked. I stepped closer to her, making her look up at me. I forgot that I towered over her. Her constant sassiness threw me off-guard.

"I thought I told you what to do?" I raised my eyebrows at her. It took her a moment to realize what I was referring to. Her cheeks turned a deep shade of red as she looked away from me once again, clearing her throat.

"It is dangerous and I am not letting him come with us." She told Hailey who was now looking between us with a spark in her eyes. She knew I was staying with Ahvi so it wasn't really a brain buster to figure out what was going on between Ahvi and me. I wasn't worried about her since she had no contact with the guys.

"It's only a stakeout, Vi. And there will be cops around." She reasoned when I shot her a pleading glance.

"And if something goes wrong, he will get in trouble alongside us." Ahvi snapped and I felt my expression softening. She was trying to protect me. She was grumpy because she was worried about me. For some reason, it turned me on.