Chapter 24: Broken, Twisted, And Very Much In Love

JACE HYDE

Ren was seated on the couch once more, his gaze flickering over to the front door every now and then through which Ahvi had barged out half an hour ago. I gritted my teeth, trying to stop myself from saying something that was not my place to tell him. So, I just watched him watch the entrance with a pained expression.

"She will be fine." Tariq patted him on the shoulder, the only one bold enough to speak up at a time like this when Ren was more upset than I had ever seen him. What was Ahvi thinking? He was her brother, her brother who had done nothing but take care of her all his life.

"I don't know what is going on with her." He shook Tariq's hand off his shoulder, burying his head in his hands. I was a tad relieved that the conversation had turned away from Kiara and me. The guys had taken the news surprisingly well, even the fact that I had gotten my crazy ex pregnant. They had been mad at me for not telling them but I explained my situation and we were good now. But the questions were still there and I was glad now that Ahvi had stolen the spotlight from me.

"She's being a brat," I said, leaning back and tucking my arms behind my head. "She'll come around." Ren's gaze snapped to me and he shook his head.

"Ahvi is not a brat, Jace. That is what has me so worried. She has never been a difficult child. Something is going on and she isn't telling me." He replied and I wondered how he could trust his sister so blindly, so completely. "Did she talk to you? Do you know what's going on?" He added, his gaze turning pleading.

I swallowed as I held his stare, hoping my expression didn't give away what I knew about Ahvi's past. "No." It was the truth. I didn't know what was troubling her yet. She had said Hailey's presence was the cause for her discomfort but now that another truth about her had shown itself, I didn't think what she had told me was relevant anymore.

"Goddammit. I want you to keep trying though. Let me know if you find anything." Ren muttered, running a hand through his hair. I nodded, swallowing nervously. "I'm going to check up on her." He got up from the couch. "God knows where she went off to."

"Ren, no." Warren spoke up just as Tariq reached forward and grabbed his arm. "She needs space. She deserves it."

"But I'm worried-"

"We know you are." Tariq consoled, his voice gentle. "But sometimes the most you can do for someone you love is give them space. Did you see how riled up she got when you asked her if she needed a ride? She needs her freedom, Ren. I think it is about time you teach her how to drive." He added.

Ren was quiet for a long time but he sat back down. His gaze was fixed on the floor as he chewed on his bottom lip. I felt frustrated with Ahvi. She had never been a baby. What was up with her now? Why was she being a brat? Did she not know how much Ren loved her? Even though she didn't deserve his love after all she had done, he didn't know anything about all that had gone down when he was in uni.

"I know I should," Ren said at last. "I know I should let her be. I know I should teach her how to drive. But how can I when every time I look at a vehicle, I see my father's dismantled body, his lifeless eyes. I don't want Ahvi to meet the same fate." His expression crumpled and he rubbed his face as if to get rid of the evidence of his pain.

"Ahvi won't end up like your father," Tariq replied. "She is responsible. She is mature. She is cautious. Despite the little temper tantrum she threw in the kitchen right now, she is level-headed."

"Your father ended up in an accident because he had been drinking, because he had been irresponsible. You can't let Ahvi depend on others for the rest of her life just because you were too scared. That would be unfair." Warren tried to catch Ren's gaze which was still fixed on the floor.