Chapter 06: My Life? It's A Shitshow

JACE HYDE

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, playing with the rings on my fingers. Kiara sat across from me, chewing on her bottom lip. It was a nervous tick of hers and I used to find it endearing. Now I couldn't stand to look at her face for more than two seconds maximum.

"I don't know how to tell you this, Jace..." She trailed off, glancing around the cafe as if looking for moral support to say her piece.

"Just spit it out, Kiara. I don't have all day," I said firmly. It was true. I had to be at the agency to deal with this Barnes character. Ren was stressing his ass off and I wanted to see what I could do about the situation. There had to be a way out of it.

"I'm pregnant and I think the baby is yours." Kiara finally announced and I felt–literally felt–my heart dropping to my stomach.

"Come again?" I blurted as I blinked at her.

"I said I'm pregnant and you are the-"

"Yeah no, that's good enough." I cut her off. If she said the f-word, I would lose every ounce of sanity I owned.

"I think I conceived that night when I ran into you at the club and..." She trailed off as I stared at the table. I was the one scanning the place for some moral support this time. I needed it. Desperately.

"Are you sure you're pregnant?" I pursed my lips, dragging my gaze back to her.

"I took three different tests, Jace. I wouldn't have come to you if I wasn't sure." She responded. Well, fair enough.

I ran a hand through my hair as I slumped back in my chair. Shit. No, this situation deserved the big old, holy fuck.

"Motherfucker." I groaned as I dropped my head in my hands.

"Jace?" A familiar voice pulled me out of my thoughts and my blood chilled in my veins. Oh, hell nah. I straightened to find Ahvi and Eman standing behind Kiara's chair, looking at me curiously. There was a smugness in the former's eyes that disappeared when my gaze found hers.

Kiara turned in her chair and Ahvi's eyes turned to her, a slight frown settling on her lips. "Hi, Ahvi." Kiara greeted her, making her frown deepen.

"Hello?" Eman elbowed her in her side not-so-subtly and she straightened, dropping the frown. My gaze volleyed between the two women, wondering what sins I was paying for today. A baby? Really?

"Is everything alright here?" Ahvi asked as she looked back at me. There was a concern reflected in her eyes that had never been directed at me before. I swallowed as I nodded my head.

"Yes, yes, everything is alright. We were just leaving." I got up from my chair and Kiara awkwardly got out of hers. "I will see you around, Harley." I grinned at Ahvi, trying to get as much enthusiasm in my voice as I could muster as I led Kiara away from the two women.

"Why'd you insist we leave? I haven't had my coffee yet." Kiara hissed at me as we walked out of the cafe.

"It is bad enough that Ahvi has seen us together. I don't want her to find out why we are together too." I replied as I pulled out the keys of my car and gestured for her to get in. Kiara stepped into the passenger seat and I rounded the bonnet before slipping into the driver seat. As soon as I was settled, I turned to my ex-girlfriend. "Now tell me what the fuck you want me to do about this situation." I gritted out.

"What do you mean? You're the father of the child, Jace. Who else was I supposed to go to?" She asked and I flinched.

"Don't ever say that again, understand?" I stated firmly. "And alright, you've got a point. I will help you take care of the child but don't expect anything more from me."