Chapter 40: It's Just Research!

JACE HYDE

I fidgeted with the rings on my fingers as I waited for Eman to show up. I didn't know what I was expecting from her but there was this blossom of hope in my chest that I couldn't ignore or disregard no matter how much I wanted to. It was dangerous but it was the only option I had, didn't I?

I had convinced myself that Kiara was the one for me. I had let her convince me that we were soulmates, made for each other and all that crap, even though I knew in my heart of hearts that she wasn't the woman I wanted to be with. I wanted to be with someone I felt comfortable and happy with, someone who saw me and didn't see the bad boy billionaire the media was so obsessed with. They saw me, void of the blinding fame.

It wasn't until I was in a relationship with Kiara that I realized how badly I wanted to get rid of her, how badly I wanted the child to be something she had made up. I was being cruel and insensitive but I never planned on being a father, mostly because I knew for sure that I couldn't be a good one.

The chiming of the bell above the cafe door pulled me out of my thoughts. I glanced at the door to find Eman stepping inside, my heart racing at the sight of her, at the knowledge that she knew things that could bring my life back to the right track.

She spotted me from across the room as she walked deeper into the room, a sheepish smile lighting her face. I wondered why she looked almost guilty when the door opened again and Ahvi stepped inside. My heart stalled in my chest at the sight of her. I wasn't expecting her to come. Eman hadn't mentioned that she would be coming either. I didn't know if I was happy to see her or absolutely fucking terrified.

Before, the sight of her would have calmed me but things weren't exactly the best between us and I couldn't ignore that little fact no matter how hard I wanted to.

"Hey." Eman was the one to speak, drawing the word out as she reached the table I was sitting at. I hadn't noticed them move but now they were standing right in front of me.

"Hi." I breathed out, my gaze flickering over to her best friend who looked as uncomfortable and awkward as I felt. "Sit down." I gestured at the chairs around the table.

Ahvi looked at Eman before sitting down and folding her hands in front of her on the table. She chewed on her bottom lip, avoiding looking at me as if it was a punishable offense. Sometimes, she offended me for no reason at all.

"So..." Eman trailed off, her cheeks slightly flushed. I had never seen her so nervous before. It made me uneasy, too.

"So?" I raised an eyebrow at her, trying to look friendly and encouraging even though I wanted to scream and yell and burn the world down with Kiara in it. If she was betraying me-

"Get to the point, Eman. We don't have all day." Ahvi spoke up, her eyes on her best friend. I felt a surge of frustration toward her. Did she always have to be so...mean and bitchy? Regina George had nothing on her, I swore.

"Eman, you can take as much time as you need to explain things to me. I am in no hurry." I folded my arms behind my head as I leaned back in my chair. Ahvi shot me a scowl but I only responded to it with a smile.

"You are in no hurry. I am. Some people actually have things to do." She rolled her eyes at me but at least she addressed me one on one. At least she looked at me and spoke to me which meant that she didn't hate me, that she might still feel for me. She must still care about me, no? She was angry with me. That meant she cared.

"I will get to the point." Eman interrupted before I could open my mouth to tell Ahvi exactly what I was thinking. I was quite disappointed in her. I thought we were supposed to be on the same team and she was supposed to always be on my side.