Chapter 19: A Bridezilla and Wedding Madness

AHVI TAKEDA

"This! Here take this! And get changed!" Eman handed me the outfit she had picked out for me for the haldi ceremony and practically shoved me into the bathroom. I stumbled inside, barely catching my breath when she pulled the door shut with enough force to pull it off its hinges.

I blinked in confusion, trying to recover from the past few hours of madness. I didn't know what I was expecting from the wedding ceremonies but this was not it. The Hashims' house was bursting with nervous and excited energy.

Guests were literally everywhere. I didn't know you could have so many cousins. I had never met my cousins, mostly because my father died when I was two and my mother, well, most of the time she didn't remember Ren and me, so extended family and relatives were out of the question.

I glanced at the outfit Eman had handed me. It was heavy. I had no idea how I was going to walk in the thing but I would try. I changed out of my jeans and shirt, getting into the top which Eman had called a kurta. It was long, almost brushing my ankles with long slits on either side of it. It was as heavy on my body as it had felt in my hand.

I twirled a little in front of the mirror, looking at the way the yellow looked against my pale skin. The kurta was a perfect fit and I felt a smile tugging on my lips. I had decided to chill out today for Nikhat and Eman's sake. The sisters were freaking out and the least I could do was be calm for their sake.

I turned to the pants that I had to pair with the kurta. As I struggled to get into them, I realized that perhaps I should have put them on before the kurta but it was too late now. Somehow, I managed to get it on. Adjusting the clasp at my waist, I sighed. I was done. A scarf still hung from the hanger Eman had handed me and I wondered what I would do with it.

"Vi! Are you done yet?!" Eman's voice seeped through the closed bathroom door, followed by a loud knock. I jumped a little despite myself and refrained from snapping at her for scaring me.

"Yes." I sighed as I opened the door. "Eman, if this goes on, you will break a door or two by the end of the evening," I said as I walked into her room.

"The guests have started to arrive and I'm still not ready. My mother will kill me." She replied, ignoring me. She was already dressed in her outfit, which looked stunning on her, and was now seated at her dressing table doing her makeup. She wore a sharara and the gold did wonders for her complexion. The kurta wasn't too tight but somehow fit her like a glove.

Eman didn't put on makeup on a daily basis so it was a sight to watch her work so efficiently with the products laid out in front of her. "You look lovely by the way." She grinned at me, her gaze flickering to me through the mirror.

"Thank you." I mumbled as I glanced down at myself, smiling softly. I did look pretty. I felt pretty. "What do I do with this though?" I frowned, holding the scarf in front of me.

"I will style it, don't worry. Let me get ready and then I will do your makeup and hair." She responded and I shrugged, plopping down on her bed. I could do my makeup but today, I would let Eman do it because I had no idea what would look good with the outfit I was wearing.

The door to her room opened then and her sister walked in. I gaped at Nikhat who looked every bit the bride she was. She wore a yellow kurta, shorter than mine and a long skirt underneath which looked like the skirt of a ballgown.

Her brown hair was curled, resting on one shoulder and earrings made of yellow flowers dangled from her ears. A similar piece of jewelery was clipped to her hair, resting on her forehead. Her scarf, similar to the one Eman had given me, was pinned to her shoulder and the back of her head. She looked absolutely mesmerizing, the prettiest bride I had ever laid my eyes on, not that I had been to many weddings.