Chapter 16: Forbidden Fruit

JACE HYDE

I stared at Ahvi for a solid minute, stunned by her outburst. She looked away from me, busying herself with the napkin holder in front of her. Ahvi and I had a lot of banters over the years. It was quite impossible to not have small arguments or go back and forth with each other for fun when you are around each other quite a lot. But she had never snapped at me or exploded like she had right now.

"Harley, are you okay?" It was the only thing I could think of asking her. She glanced at me briefly before averting her gaze again.

"I'm okay," she said. I shook my head, pulling the napkin holder out of her reach. She fisted her hands on the table but didn't look at me.

"Look at me." I spoke gently as if scared that I would tick her off again. I was kind of scared if I was being honest. "Harley, look at me." I repeated myself when she didn't. Slowly, she raised her head to find my gaze and I swallowed. "What is going on? And don't you dare say this is because of me being late because I have been late plenty of times before and you haven't minded."

She searched my face, her dark eyes hesitant. Her bottom lip came forward in a small pout and for a moment I wondered if she would cry. But she didn't. Instead she inhaled deeply before shrugging. "I don't know." She answered finally.

"Is something troubling you? Or is someone troubling you?" I asked, trying to make sense of her distress.

"No, nothing is troubling me." She shook her head but her answer came too quickly for my liking.

"Harley, don't ever bullshit the bullshitter." I leaned forward in my seat, catching her gaze. "For the next ten minutes, I want you to say what it is that is bothering you. And I want the truth. Don't even try to lie because I will make you repeat yourself until you spit out whatever is on your mind." I added.

Leaning away from her and putting my arms behind my head, I waited for her to speak. I could do this all day if need be. Ren knew where I was and so did the other guys. They wouldn't mind if I spent a few hours getting Ahvi to spill.

"Don't you have anywhere to be?" She muttered as she watched me warily.

"Nope. I took half the day off today. Now, spill." I grinned at her and watched as an emotion rolled over her face. But it was gone before I could put a finger on it.

"I've been having nightmares these days." She shrugged as the words left her mouth followed by a sigh. "I have trouble sleeping. Every time I close my eyes, I see the past flashing in front of my eyes and it's not helping that Hailey is here. She reminds me of everything that I have been trying to escape from." She added, another breath leaving her as she sulked in her seat.

Just then the waiter walked up to our booth, the lunch I had ordered for the both of us in his hands. I knew what she liked so it hadn't been hard to order. He put a plate with burger and fries in front of Ahvi and another in front of me. Chocolate milkshake followed next for Ahvi and for me, I had gotten a strawberry lemonade. The waiter smiled as I thanked him before he walked away.

Ahvi stared at the food in front of her as I picked up a fry and popped it in my mouth, chewing on it as I thought about what she had revealed to me.

"So, you went Hulk on me because you're barely sleeping and you are scared of the past?" I asked distractedly as I turned the situation over in my head. When I looked at Ahvi, her cheeks had reddened.

"I know it's stupid-" She began but I cut her off with a shake of my head.

"I didn't say it was stupid. I'm sorry it came out that way. I was just trying to process the information." I mentally face-palmed myself for being a born ass. Composing myself, I added, "Why are you afraid of the past, Harley? It's been three years since you left. It's been five years since..." I trailed off at the sight of her face falling. I tried to push the words out but they got stuck somewhere in my throat.