Chapter 49: The Haunted House

AHVI TAKEDA

I was terrified.

I didn't want to be but my insides quivered with the thoughts filling my head, every wretched scenario playing out in it. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I didn't want to know what the end result was going to be. I just knew I needed to get done with this-this closure I was so adamant to find.

It was the next day and I was ready. Or as ready as one could be when they knew they were going to be a bait for a notorious gang. Jace had left for his cousin, Kyle's house and now I wished he was here for me to say goodbye to one last time. Yesterday, after our chat in the lobby, I had gone to the police station with Hailey once again to set everything up and discuss our plan once again.

I had come back to Jace already asleep but when I slipped into bed, he had pulled me to his chest. He kissed my shoulder, murmuring about how he was trying to be strong but it was hard when he knew where I would be. And once again, my heart had been in his grip, for him to control, for him to take care of or to break.

I tapped my foot against the ground now as Hailey and I waited for the car to show up, shaking his words off. The Sheriff was to send us a car to take us to the stakeout where Hailey and I would be living for the next forty-eight hours. It was an abandoned house close to Polo's base. I didn't even know if after all these years, he was still the one leading the gang.

The gangsters were supposed to see me "accidentally" and then we were to hope that everything played the way we wanted it to. I glanced at my phone, trying to get rid of my nerves. Hailey was going to be there with me, it was a slight comfort in the storm brewing inside my stomach and heart.

As I scrolled through the photos in my albums, a call lit up the screen of my phone. A smile tugged on my lips at the sight of Eman's name flashing across the top. I answered it quickly, bringing the device to my ears. It was as if the woman knew when I needed her.

"Yello, bestie," Eman said, her voice awfully cheery. My smile grew and Hailey shot my a questioning glance. I waved her off as I turned my attention back to my best friend. God, I missed her.

"Hello to you, too," I replied, her presence on the other side of the line stealing away some of the discomfort I felt. "Don't you have classes today?" I asked, glancing at my smart watch. It was still only ten in the morning.

"No. I had one class today but I didn't feel like going." There was a catch in her voice but before I could point it out, she continued, "Nikhat and Asraf are taking me shopping today. I wish you were here. I don't want to go through this hell without you." She added.

I almost told her that I wished she was here too. I didn't want to go through my hell alone either. Hailey was here and I was grateful for it but my friendship with her could never compare to what I had with Eman Hashim. My soul sister. My best friend.

"That sounds awful." I answered because it was. Nikhat and Asraf were a couple who loved public display of affection and neither Eman nor I could stomach it. Nikhat believed we were so bitter about PDA because we, ourselves, had never been in love. I would beg to differ.

"Yeah." Eman drawled and I heard a door open and close on her end. "How are things there? With y'know what." She asked.

"Things are going smoothly. Also, Jace is here." I blurted it out before I could stop myself. I hadn't talked to Eman in a few days and thus, failed to tell her about everything that had gone down.

"What?!" Her voice was one loud screech and I winced. "What is he doing there? I thought he was in Miami or something."

"Yeah, apparently, his idea of a vacation is to follow me to our hometown and be a pain-in-my-ass," I replied. Hailey snorted and I shot her a smirk.