Chapter 56: A Freak-Out

JACE HYDE

Kyle arrived at the hotel almost an hour later. I was still in the ambulance, watching the firefighters finally get done with putting out the fire. The paramedics were done with checking up the patrons and the police was still trying to figure out who set the cylinders on fire.

My cousin's face was awfully pale, his blue eyes wide with fear when he stumbled up to me. "Are you okay?" He asked, sounding breathless.

"I'm fine." I answered, pasting a smile on my face. But I wasn't fine though because the Sheriff wouldn't let me talk to Ahvi. I had approached him three times in the past hour but he had waved me off every time. I was getting worried again and it had nothing to do with the fire now.

"What happened?" Kyle asked and I peeled my gaze away from the police cars to look at him.

"Someone set the cylinders on fire." I told him what the woman had said to me in the corridor.

"Set on fire? Intentionally?" He frowned, glancing at the hotel. Smoke billowed out of the building, the edges charred and black.

"I don't know." I shrugged. I didn't know how I was being so calm when I had almost been caught inside. I wondered if it was just the shock of being in a situation like this or I was finally losing my mind. The Sheriff broke away from the police officers then and I straightened. "I will be right back." I told Kyle as I got off the ambulance and pushed past him.

The Sheriff caught me walking up to him and sighed. Pulling his phone out of his pocket, he waved it at me. "I am going to call them now. You can talk to her." He sounded slightly annoyed but I didn't care.

I watched as he dialed a number and put the device to his ear. A moment passed by before a frown settled itself between his brows. He pursed his lips as he pulled the phone away and redialed.

I felt Kyle walk up to me as I watched the Sheriff with my heart pounding in my chest. "This isn't right." He muttered as he looked at the screen again.

"What is it?" I asked, ignoring the questioning look Kyle shot us.

"They're not picking up the burner phone I gave them. In fact, the call isn't going through at all." He replied.

My stomach hollowed out at his words. No, no, no. Hell no.

"Why?" I knew it was not a helpful question but it was the only thing I could think of saying.

"I don't know. Let me try the officers I left in charge." He shook his head as he punched another number and dialed. Again, it took only a moment before he was pulling the device away from his ear. "Something isn't right," He said, glancing at me.

"What the hell do you mean?" My voice rose. I didn't mean it to but it did and I wanted to punch this man in the guts. I wanted to demand answers and ask him to make sure Ahvi was safe. But I just stood there and waited for him to answer.

"The numbers are no more in service. It shouldn't be that way. Something happened." Before I could ask anything more, he was striding away from us, calling his officers.

"What is going on?" Kyle asked. I turned to look at him but I couldn't focus on anything. Fear, thick and slimy, stuck to every part of my conscience.

"Give me the keys to your bike." I extended my hand at Kyle.

"What? Why? What is going on?" He repeated.

"Just give me the damned keys." I snapped and my cousin looked taken aback. I didn't have time to feel guilty for snapping at him. Quietly, he pulled out the keys and handed them to me. I muttered a thank you to him before walking away. I should have asked him where he'd parked but now I couldn't afford to turn back and ask him.